St George Island

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dave7

St George Island

Post by dave7 »

Has anyone ever fished from a kayak down at St George Island? I've secured a couple kayaks and have plans to head down there Sat. and Sunday. Any suggestions on where to fish?

I'm assuming just to look around in the bay for holes and bars.
bait boy

Post by bait boy »

Are you going to start on St George? The state park on the east end has some good grass flats and oyster bars nearby not to mention catching the outgoing tide at the east end for spanish. Florida sportsman wrote a article a few years back about the bird island ( small semi-circular sand bar covered with birds which has oysterbars and deep holes nearby) i have caught trout around there alot. there is alot of trout fishing done on the grass flats west of the cut. And dont forget about St vincents bar down by the west pass. All of these have produced over the years for me. The State park would be my first choice for putting in and the bird island is just a short paddle away.
dave7

Post by dave7 »

Thanks!

Yeah - I've reserved a spot at the primative camp within the State Park and plan to paddle down there from the boat ramp.
FindingNemo

Post by FindingNemo »

You can launch your kayak at either of the shell/dirt boat ramps in the park and be in trout/redfish territory in minutes. The paddle to the east end is quite a haul but the spanish do hit on the north side so you do not have to paddle out into 15 - 20 feet of water in the pass. If you do paddle to the east end, go on shore and fish from the beach....spanish and jacks come in very close. Good luck.
FindingNemo

Post by FindingNemo »

This link http://www.forgottencoastoutdoors.com/f ... index.html has not been updated for several years but is very handy when planning St. George Island fishing trips.
dave7

Post by dave7 »

Thanks for the info. That link has some pretty nice details about specific areas to fish down there. I ended up having to cancel my trip to St. George last weekend, but I'll be back. :D
bait boy

Post by bait boy »

The goose island in the link is the one I called bird island in my previous post.
Pirate

SGI

Post by Pirate »

It may get crowded!!!
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!