5/14/05 O-BAY

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DWilliams

5/14/05 O-BAY

Post by DWilliams »

Started early, but ended up trolling out b/c it was a little rougher than 1-2. Caught two in about 30' and a king in 45 and numerous seabass. The wakulla regional was full headed towards K nothing doing. Found some live bottom and the grouper were scarce but got a limit. Undertow missed a big one, the rest were average 23-26". Only two fishermen on the boat, we did three dives picked up 4 hogs to go with the grouper and UT got a fat mango. Top temp was ~75 and there was a thermocline at 35 was shaking to bad to look at the temp had a .5 mil skinsuit on. visibility was ~35'. The seas laid down for the ride back in.
Knot Tester

Post by Knot Tester »

Do hogs ever take a hook or are they stickum fish only?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Knot Tester wrote:Do hogs ever take a hook or are they stickum fish only?
Once in a blue moon someone will catch one hook and line. Its much easier to shoot them though. :smt067
Tom Keels
Site Founder

salty_dog
Site Sponsor

Post by salty_dog »

Thanks for the report. Hope to get out this weekend. Looks like we still need a wetsuit.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

My friend caught one on shrimp in 65' of water a couple of years ago. That's the only one I've seen caught. He was using very little weight.
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

I've seen a hogfish get foul hooked in the gut.
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

What a great trip! It had everything! Sounds like a wonderful time and lots o' stuff to show for it. Thanks for the fine report. :thumbup: :thumbup:

This summer is mine, I hope, to spear my first fish and, I hope, my first hog fish. Not to mention [OK I'm goin' to] catchin' a king. Now, about my 13'er..... hhmmmmm.