St. Marks 6-25

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BIG
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 6-25

Post by BIG »

Left LH 6:35 a.m. looking to head to Grey Mare area since the weather forecast seemed to be wrong. Engine hot warning light and sound came on and I notice the pee hole wasn't working and the engine started smoking. Cut the engine and cleaned out the hole. (I am going to talk Chalk's advice to put that stupid golf tee in the hole one of these days!)
Not quite sure of the extent of the damage decided to head north to Stoney Bayou and fish for redfish.

Fished the grassy line of the east side of Stoney Bayou throwing a gold spoon and my buddy was throwing a redfish magic something or the other. Even went into the first east cut of Stoney and couldn't get any strike from anything. Probably spent too much time working the line but I would have bet you $100 there were fish there. Eventually drifted out and the wind pushed us southwest and picked up a short trout.

Depth finder decided it wanted to work and the flats temperature was 82 degrees. Headed south to get into cooler deeper water, but the temperature didn't change much from moving from 2.5 ft to 6 ft. The wind picked up and the weathermen's prediction became accurate. Began to bounce around quite a bit and the wind was blowing good. After a good spray trying to get out of the wind, gave up and headed to the hill by 11 am.

Tally for the day
1 pinfish
2 undersized trout
1 shark

I can't tell you what the fish wanted but I know they didn't want shrimp, SWA - candy corn, electric chicken, mullet all under CT. I don't want to embarrass myself futher to discuss the various topwater or shallow water plugs I threw without incident.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Sometimes you just can't buy a bite not matter how hard you try. I was down at alligator point yesterday, and the east wind was kicking between 15 and 20. Forecast said the wind was supposed to lay down to 10-15 in the afternoon. If anything it increased. It was pointless for us to even try to fish in that kind of wind.

Good report anyway :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey Big- did you try just a jig without the CT in 6'-8 of water?
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
dave7

Post by dave7 »

:thumbup: We were out that same direction yesturday too - might have seen ya out there. It took us awhile to figure out what the trout were looking for. My old standby green and red minnow that worked like a charm earlier this Spring is now more or less worthless. Nothing wants it - not even the catfish. Just gotta keep trying different combos. :roll:
BIG
Site Sponsor

Post by BIG »

Yep, I tried a chartreuse grub on a jig that I call the 'Last Resort' and I usually get some action on it. I didn't and was defeated. So, I didn't throw anything else.

I will keep it in mind for the next time.