Aucilla River 11/11/2002

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Aucilla River 11/11/2002

Post by Tom Keels »

NOAA Wrong Again! This time in my favor. Arrived at the Aucilla before daylight and met Tin Can and his son at the ramp. Wind light, clear skies, and unseasonably warm. We quickly made our way over to Sulfur creek to see if the fish were still there. We weren't dissapointed.

I caught 2 nice fish first thing on a chug bug. One 21.5" the other 20.5". Then after that bite died we threw Victimizer orange crush grubs under Victimizer corks and caught 8 more keepers from 16-19". Threw back half a dozen 15" fish. No reds were caught although I spooked a couple and saw tons of sheephead in the creek. Fish came one here and one there, no real pattern other than fish around the rock grass. Lots of bait in the creeks and the fish have layers of fat on them. If we get a little more cool weather this week, next weekend should be Katie bar the door.

Gorgeous day on the water. Strange winds though. On the water near the gulf the winds were light less than 10 mph. When we got to the ramp it was blowing 15-20 and gusty with whitecaps in the river. Like I said on the way down this morning....you never know till you go, and I 'm sure I won't catch anything sitting at the house.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Tom.....you fishing the river itself or were you fishing the gulf infront of the river.......how deep is that river anyhow never bin on that river seeing sheepies is a good sine they are moving into the rivers...........do you ever fish for the sheepies I like eating them but cleaning them is a pain in the @#$%.........
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Sounds like a good day. Do you ever work?? :lol: We caught some sheepshead out by the racks on Saturday. You ever fish the "cut" at Aucilla? I hope they'll be ganging up in there shortly. Ready for another fish fry!
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I do work, but I have the benefit of getting state holidays.:)

I have not fished the "cut" that I know of. What and where is it?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Yeah I forgot about that holiday thingy. I need me one of those state jobs!! Tom, it's probably some drunk, po-ass Ga. boy name for a place you know under some other name. :lol: The "cut" short for "cutoff" is out near the flats. From Aucilla, hang a right at the leaning palm tree(with no palms) instead of heading out to the flats. It curves left then right then left again and heads straight out to the flats. Are you thoroughly confused? I am. There's a stake out there at the entry/exit. I started fishing there with my Daddy years ago and he calls it the "cut". So does everybody else from Moultrie. Know where I'm talking about?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I think you mean West Pass, that leads out to Sulfur Creek. I have fished it many times.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

10/4. We've caught plenty of trout out there, reds too over near the grass. May be there Saturday if the weather is cool. See ya down there??
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

several years ago, spent alot of time on the aucilla river ( in a air boat)
have not got my nerve up to try it again in my kenner
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

ROCKCILLA?? I like to go in my dad's boat when I fish the Aucilla. A 17ft. aluminum Fisher with a 40 horse. Jus' rite! How much water does that Kenner draw? My boat is set up on a Kenner design. It doesn't draw much water though. I guess you could call it a poor man's Kenner. Kinda like the Triton/Ranger analogy. Glad you got shed of that airboat.
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

tf
it will run it fairly shallow water, probalbly will give it a try before long
hope to see yall soon