Catfish Stew

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sea Gurl

Catfish Stew

Post by Sea Gurl »

CATFISH STEW

Brown chopped smoked bacon in dutch oven pan (I use enough to pretty much cover bottom of pan)

Salt & pepper boneless fish filets on both side

When bacon is mostly done layer fish filets on top of bacon

Add a layer of sliced potatoes enough to cover fish filets (maybe four medium size)

Add a layer of sliced onion (one medium size)

Add 2 cans of tomatoes chopped (I like to Ga Red variety but it doesn’t matter)with juice

Optional:

Add 1 can Rotel (I use original or mild, some folks like the hot, it’s up to you)

Add 1 can whole corn drained

Cover and simmer on low until potatoes are done

Avoid stiring while cooking (after I put it all together I run a spoon down the side of pot and sorta lift up the filets to let some of the liquid get under them)
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks for the recipe Sea Gurl. Do you drain off the bacon grease or just leave it in?
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Sea Gurl

Post by Sea Gurl »

Bud,

For the taste I leave it in if it's a reasonable amount of grease, say 2-3 tablespoons worth, anything more than that I'd pour off. I also recommend the smoked "ends & pieces" bacon that comes in the 3# box in the meat department usually in the area where the smoked ham hocks and such are. I know Harvey's and Winn Dixie have it - the remainder can be used for cooking peas etc. But that's me........

SG
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

:thumbup: :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

:lick:
That sounds Great :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing
:D
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.