Keeping water out of your roll gunnel boat. Now with picture

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Keeping water out of your roll gunnel boat. Now with picture

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D In rough water if you have a roll gunnel you always wind up with a lot of water in the back of the boat after a long run. Looking back to check on the pisser I noticed why. :o When hitting waves the water would run under the gunnel around the back and blast into the side of the moter. Half would splash out but the other half would come right into the boat. :x So I came up with a solution. First take a piece of cardboard and make a template of each side under the gunnel right before you get to the moter cutout. The trace that on a small piece of 1/2" starboard. Over cut a little and sand down for a tight fit. Then put on some 5200 and clamp it till set, and viola no water in boat.Image Space it in an inch or so and a 1/4" up in there and you can't see it. A tip I learned on smoothing 5200. Pour some rubbing alcohol into a dish and repetedly wet your finger tip with it while while wiping off eccess on a rag inbetween smoothing. It works :thumbup: :-D :thumbup:
Last edited by Hit-n-Miss on July 21st, 2005, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

pictures..
Yardarm
Site Sponsor

Post by Yardarm »

H&M

Great tip about the 5200

Will it remove from knees elbows nose?? :lol:
Y
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Somebody needs to walk me through getting it from the digital to posting them. :-D I'm a computer idiot. :-D Soak a clean rag with alcohol it will remove(5200) from skin and anything else provided you do it right away. :thumbup:
Yardarm
Site Sponsor

Post by Yardarm »

H&M

go to "off topic" area and look see the thread "sticky picture posting"

Also there is a test area at the bottom of the index to try your picture posting skills.
It dont hurt to try it out.
cheers
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Has picture of finished product now. Sorry no before or during. :-D
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Just curious if that will last, story is nothing out there that will stick to starboard.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:oops: I said starboard but I actually used white corian (countertop material). I also used a piece of frosted lexan on the transom for the transducer, adhered with 3m double stick tape and sealed with 5200, the transducer has been screwed to it for three years. :-D
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Gotcha :thumbup: :-D
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

5200 sticks to star board fine. Score the star board where the glue bond will be with a knife and then sand it with some 80 grit sandpaper. We have a piece that has been glued on the back of our aluminum boat for a transducer plate for several years now.

Nathan