Bama Boys Find Trout, Finally!

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Bama Boys Find Trout, Finally!

Post by Old Dog »

Apalachicola Bay Report 11/16/02

Saturday's weather with wind and rain brought on by an approaching cold front, was better suited to keep most folks inside sitting in front of a TV watching college football. But while the weather was bad, it was not bad enough to keep hard core trout fishermen Don Tucker, Hugh Griffith, and Russ Cash from getting out on Apalachicola Bay to hunt trout.

In wind and driving rain, we launched my Whaler "Striper," and Russ's "Scout," under Goree Bridge in downtown Apalachicola, and set out to try to find some trout. We hit a couple of places on the bay that morning but worsening weather, and the desire to see our families again drove us up into the river. I tried all my usual honey holes and found nothing. From a week of heavy rains the river level was at 13' and the water was stained, and I knew that unless we could get back out on the bay the trout would stay safe until another trip.

By afternoon the wind began to slacken and our luck improved. Falling back on a little knowledge of Roman history and religion, I tried to apply that learning to improve our luck. I decided to divine the auspices. Romans, in pre-Christian times, believed that certain of their priests were able to look at signs in nature and predict the future. From a few years experience, and from having spent thousands of dollars in pursuit of various species of fish, I've come to know some of these signs from the gods, and by using that knowledge we were able to find some schooling trout and the day was saved.

Using the ¼ oz. "Niteglow" DOA shrimp, free-lined and under popping corks, Hugh and I finally managed to round up 40 white and speckled trout. Russ, using Saltwater Assassin's, did well too, and probably caught as many as Hugh and I combined, and he also got the big fish of the day award.

While on a good bite of schooling trout I heard Russ holler. Looking over at his boat I saw that he'd hung a gull. But that wasn't all. With the bird flopping around in the water, and the lure hanging down from the birds wing, a snot cat struck it. With the bird trying to go one way, and the cat another, Russ had a real fight on his hands. I think now Russ will probably admit that a Cajun Thunder or a popping cork is better suited for presenting a lure than a gull. But hey, on a slow day, whatever works!

The approach of evening and another squall line finally drove us off the water. Looking back maybe we were foolish to try fishing in that weather, but life is short. What if we had stayed home to watch the ballgames, and got drunk, and stumbled on the way to the refrigerator to get another beer, and broken a hip? Maybe we were better off on the water.

I enjoyed the day with Hugh and Russ and hope we can do it again soon.
od
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

OD, I'm proud to know there are people out there that still "WANT" to fish. Good report! :D
What was I supposed to do today?
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

TC, I'd just about fish in a haracane than sit in front of a damn TV and watch football. What a waste of time! Besides that, if I hadn't gotten out of the house, I would have had the garage to clean. I've been puttin' that off for a couple weeks.

ALMAR and I are tryin' to get something goin back down that way Thursday. Hope the river goes down. Sure like to see that boy kill those sharks and catch those 'splodin trout. :oops:
od
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I know what you mean, OD. My garage needs cleaning out, my yard needs some attention, my house needs painting, my truck needs washin.....the list goes on and on. On days like this past weekend you find out who wants to fish, and who wants to talk about fishin. I listen to these guys talk about the weather, and if they're goin. I have been at least 1 day every week for over 2 years. THE BEST TIME TO GO FISHING IS WHEN YOU CAN!

Hope the river goes down for you guys. :D
What was I supposed to do today?