Carrabelle 8-20-2005

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Carrabelle 8-20-2005

Post by Tom Keels »

Salty Dog, JoeK, Myself and Frank Bradfield left C-Quarters at 8:30 and headed towards O-tower. We anchored on some structure close to the tower and while Joe and SD were suiting up I was steady bringing up short red snapper on dead squid. After Joe and Andre dove for about 30 minutes Andre was high gun with 4 red snapper to 6 lbs and 3 mangroves to 5lbs. Joe brought up a couple of grovers as well.

It was mine and Frank's turn. Down the sprialing anchor rope into the sructure I said to myself, "I have never seen so many fish." Grouper, snapper, govers, AJ's everywhere. Well I ended up with 3 grovers to 6 lbs and my first red snapper that was right at 10 pounds. To only bring 4 fish off this spot was disappointing considering the number of shots I took.

I'll let Frank tell the story of his dive.

Joe and Andre decided to back dive this spot and brought back a couple of grovers, triggers and Joe got a really nice flounder. Unfortunately a bull shark decided to see what all the comotion was about so Frank and I (mostly Frank :-D ) decided to dive another spot.

The next spot was a ledge I found 2 years ago that we have never caught a whole lot of fish on, but it always looked good on the scope. I was first in the water to set the anchor. As I desended the vis was horrible with lots of particulate matter. Finally I hit the thermocline and the vis cleared to a shootable 15 feet. After I set the anchor I looked up and quickly shot my first hogfish. I then proceeded a little down current to find the mother of all ledges stacked with fish. The ledge was a good 5 feet and undercut further than my light would penetrate. Thousands of gag and red grouper were swarming this place. Big ones were extremely spooky and I never got a shot on a keeper. However I was really suprised at the numbers of big hogs on the site. I was in sensory overload and my shot placement reflected it as I only made it back to the boat with 4 hogs. I had to ammend my previous statement. This was the most fish I'd ever seen on a spot. I can't wait to go back and take a couple of Vallium before hitting it again.

Thanks to Joe, Andre and Frank for a great day. Coastal in Pancea provided a wonder dinner of Snapper throats and Triggerfish.

Great day. I can't wait to go back.
Last edited by Tom Keels on August 21st, 2005, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

WOW Tom! I guess you're not giving those numbers up too soon ??
Good day.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:smt006 I wanna go. :smt006
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice..... :thumbup: :thumbup:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Hogfish=Fine Dining. WTG, Tom. Now, where's this ledge?
bstockwell

Post by bstockwell »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Basically what Tom was trying to say was i gotta get my aim better :-D , its like a dove hunt, steel was flying... At least i didn't get skunked.. I did miss nice Cobia shooting up in the water column, everyone said you say a cobia on this spot, i'm like yeah, and they got their turn at em too, and even more, I think they saw 4 on the next dive , they had some lame excuss about they were following the bull shark. ( I heard by one of the divers the shark was 2 of Tom or 1000 lbs, won't say who. :-D Tom did volunteer to shoot one out from under the shark. I was like ok, i gotta see this but we talked each other out of it.. Tom was right, there were so many fish you couldn't keep up with what your were looking at. Sometimes if felt like i was in an aquarium. I'd be trying to line up a shot and trigger fish would be blocking my view. I had to beat em off. I did have a nice hog in my hand , trying to string it up and he gave me the slip, I gotta work on the stone shots. Salty dog mentioned looking behind him while he was swimming for the snapper, he was right, they followed me all over, it was lots of fun trying to swing over and get a shot off . Awesome day, great bunch of guys, can't wait to go back...

frank
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Sounds like you found a real honey hole.....
GREAT PICTURE :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Joefisher

Post by Joefisher »

Andre', Tom, and Frank, I enjoyed! Let's do it again soon.

Tom, I baked the flounder last night per your instructions and it was very good!!! We'll be eating leftovers tonight - 4 people could have easily eaten off that fish.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Great stuff fellows :thumbup: :D I'm surprised you found/saw so many fish with all the devastation being heaped on the populations by the recreational anglers :roll:
Jumptrout51 wrote:
I wanna go.
If you can get him on board, I'll volunteer to go along and help him suit up.... just to make sure he has the right amount in his weight belt. :smt038 :smt005
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Jumptrout51 wrote::smt006 I wanna go. :smt006
ditto! What a great report, guys. Congrats!