Grouper Rod

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Grouper Rod

Post by Sir reel »

Good morning folks. :D

I have a friend who has recently moved here from Central Florida, purchased a nice 20 something Key West and started learning the area. He has reached the point of trying the close in grouper spots but as yet doesn't have a rod/reel that is suitable. I know what I would suggest to him but I'd rather have some more input. Would like to hear from anyone as to what their suggestion would be for a grouper rod and reel combination. Lets say as good a quality that you could obtain for $200.

Level wind, and something that would be used for both trolling and bottom fishing. Thanks.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Rod - 6 ' Penn Mariner CHST, with a Newell or Penn reel, a # 4 Penn will run $ 25.00 cheaper but the Newell will be less maintenance and weigh less. I have both, prefer the Newell.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I like this rod "Penn 3165RS"
with either this reel "Penn 113H 4/0" or "Shimano TLD25" :-D

Of course with a deal like this

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/ ... g_Rod.html

I could lower my standerds to a PENN 3140RS rod :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

BTT... Thanks fellows, I appreciate the input so far :thumbup: Anybody else got some suggestions??
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

I agree with the others on the reel. Penn 113H, Daiwa 400H, or a Newell are all good choices. I'm kinda biased on rods, so I'll refrain from commenting. :wink: Also, Ebay is a great place to look at reels. Like new Penn 113H and Daiwa 400H for $50-$60 if you wait for the right one.

Nathan
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Penn 4/0 will take care of all his needs around here, however that TLD 25 is a nice rig. The 4/0 will be easier on the wallet.
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

One more thing, stay away from roller tips if at all possible, you don't need them for bottom fishing and its just one less thing to maintain.
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Ive had good luck with the penn 330GTI ($99) and a 7' ugly stick heavy action ($69). Its light enough not to wear you out bottom fishing and tough enough to catch big kings freelineing. I have several penn rods that are bullet proof but I can feel better with the US. 8)
Sea Ya !
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I have two Shakespeare Tidewater BTW60SUNR rods with 112H's on them...These rods are medium heavy action rated for 40-130 lb test..They are 6' rods..

They have the long forward handle like standups with regular guides..I agree with Frank about the roller tips. My fishing buddy has one with roller tips and he said braided line would get between the roller and the tip frame and cut..

I've used these for bottom fishing and trolling and caught everything from 8" lizard fish to a nurse shark well over a hundred pounds.. I like them enough that my local saltwater supplier is ordering another one for me and one for my fishing buddy Jay...So far the 112H seems a little handier for trolling and has held bout everything I've had on..

Incidently, I got the rods at Bass Pro Shops in Savannah last fall....cost less than 50 bucks each so a combo with a 112H is well under 200 dollars.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I would spend the extra for a Shimano.

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/ ... m_Rod.html
What was I supposed to do today?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I want to thank everyone for your input. Great information and it will certainly help with the decision process.

What's the general feeling regarding spiral wrap guides or not?
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

I like the TLD 15, plenty of line cap. light weight, lever drag,smoooth drag,125.00.
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

I have a spiral wrap rod, its ok, i believe in the blank more than anything, its got to have a good feel on a bite, # 1 grouper fishing you need a stout rod, i like the 30 - 80 lb rods, the 20 -50's are to soft , weak on the hookset and harder to feel the bites. I like a rod no longer than 6 ft, the shorter rod gives you much more control of a grouper on the bottom, a longer rod gives him more time to rock you up. We use rods which are 5'6" and 6'. You just can't beat the Penn Mariner CHST 30-80 for $ 80.00 dollars at Bass Pro Shops. I'm not trying to talk you out of a spiral wrap, i think i just have the wrong one for me. Its a 30-50 and its too soft, i lose way to many fish, so i made it a backup rod.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks Frank... I appreciate your opinions!
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

I find 20 - 50 just fine, guess it depends on the hooks. No hook set here with circles. :-D