Econfina Report - 12-26-01

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PerryFisherMan
Site Sponsor

Post by PerryFisherMan »

Fished the Econfina with my son today from 7-12. Not a stellar day. We landed 4 keeper trout and 1 flounder. We must have caught 20-30 undersized trout.

I saw no one who had their limit. Some had no fish. Best I saw was one guy with 4 trout. Most people had one keeper.

We caught 3 of the keepers on jigs - white body with pink tails. We jigged off the bottom and used an equalizer. A green Mirrolure caught one keeper. The flounder bit the jig under the equalizer. No reds! Last year was a lot more fun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tom Keels on 2001-12-31 12:10 pm ]</font>
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Don't fret, it just needs to get colder. Fish have not concentrated yet. Wait till next week after this cold blast we are having.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

captfredfish

Post by captfredfish »

Tom or Perryfish,
Where can I get live shrimp in Perry or thereabouts. I'll be out of Econfina Sunday.
Thanks
PerryFisherMan
Site Sponsor

Post by PerryFisherMan »

JR's Aucilla Store is your best bet. Call 584-4595 to call ahead if you want to be sure.

I hope you have good luck this weekend. I fished again yesterday morning, and the fish that we did catch were all on Mirrolures. The red head/white body did best. Jigs did not produce anything.

I did ran into another person who did OK on a Yozuri. However, from the reports I'm hearing, the Aucilla is producing larger and more fish.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

If you want shrimp, you had better get to JR's early or they will be gone. He constantly sells out during the winter. Also you won't need a boat on the river, just walk from boat to boat to get to where you want to fish. You'll never get your feet wet. :lol:
Tom Keels
Site Founder

captfredfish

Post by captfredfish »

Thanks; I'll be sure to call about the shrimp. Maybe I'll get them Sat. nite.
As for the boats, I've fished there several times this year and hardly saw another boat all day! I'm hoping the creeks are holding fish and I can avoid the river. Can't be any worse than the Suwannee "Georgia Hole" with a nor'easter...or the Steinhatchee trout follies!
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

:lol:

Should be an intersting trip for you then.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

captfredfish

Post by captfredfish »

:lol: It Was!

cff
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Well how about a report?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

captfredfish

Post by captfredfish »

Very cold early, 5 building to 10 kt from NE. Saw very few boats in the river. Threw topwater over grass/potholes just to burn some time 'till the bottom of the tide. Sight fished for reds most of the day. Got 18 fish from 22"-27" on jerk worms and shallow shad raps. Released all but one (for my buddy's dinner.) On the way back in, we stopped in the river to drop anchor for trout. Counted 10 boats inside LOD and only saw small trout coming in. We already had our fun so we left. At the ramp, everyone was saying the bite was slow but steady.
captfredfish

Post by captfredfish »

PS...I love the Big Bend.

:grin:

cff