St. Marks 12/04/05

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 12/04/05

Post by mjsigns »

(Me and my Wife) Put the boat in at Shields around 7:00 am. It was 36 degrees. It was a long cold ride down to the wreck to check for the sheepies. That old motor always amazes me each time it starts. I gotta say we were flat out flying down the river wide open quickly burning up some of that old fuel. I let my wife take the wheel for a few minutes while I fumbled around with some gear and anchor ropes. The sky looked almost spooky.

The morning sky, with the wreck marker on the right, Lighthouse to the left.

When we finally anchored down on the wreck, the tide was still dropping and I was hopeful we could catch some of them "big-boy" sheepies. Instead we picked up two or three pups, and 1 legal keeper sheepie (which I blackened ate last night). We also caught a mess of puppy black sea bass and released them.

I must confess, my wife did most of the fishing and caught all the fish. She don't touch fish, or any kind of bait or fish, wet living or frozen. She was pulling them in quicker than I could get my line and pole baited. She was having fun and I was glad. Sometimes she don't understand why I like to go almost every weekend. Around 12-1, the bite stopped and the wind kicked up so I decided to check the regular sheepie holes upriver. Knada.... Ran up the river further and further past the power plant. Saw a few boats. I could see some fish in the bottom reader, but they seemed more scattered about than normal. Got a few bites, and snags and wifee wanted to go home.... you know the rest of the story....
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
BIG
Site Sponsor

Post by BIG »

Awesome picture! :thumbup:
Great trip too.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
bman

Post by bman »

We were out there on saturday- Picked up trout around the bars between the fort and lighthouse. Tried Sheephead fishing up the river but didnt loose any bait.

If you dont mind sharing - do you fish on the up current side of the wreck back to it or on the down side?

Thanks
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Fishing the wreck is tricky because of at least 4 variables-

- wind direction & speed
- tide
- current of the river
- the wakes of passing boats

Imagine your hull being smashed against this steel a few times by the wake of a passing boat. You can also foul up your prop on high tide...

I prefer the down current side. The tide can be rising and the current of the river can make it impossible to fish the down stream side of the wreck. I used to spend 30 minutes (and two or three tries) trying to get the boat into place to fish. Now I can do it in 5 minutes or less.

What ever you do, be careful and take your time move in slowly and be safe. The wreck is a navigational hazard and should be treated as such. It can leave a heck of a reminder on your hull, and will take your anchor away if your not careful.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

WTG MJ :thumbup: