Cast Net Throwing ?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Cast Net Throwing ?

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Anyone know of a guy who teaches this art ? I would love to learn, the mullet keep asking me too ! I don't mean occassionally get it right, or a 5 ft net pretty good, i'd like to be able to throw larger nets real good. Thanks , frank
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I'm with you Frank! :thumbup: It would be a good subject for a club meeting or if Scott is listening (Jerry's B&T) mabe a one or two evening class!
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

http://www.calusa.com/watchvideo.cfm?name=notrequired

I hear JR and Eckley can put on a good show throwing one...
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

I've seen Eckley throw a cast net. Its a thing of beauty.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

We did that at a meeting at The MILL a couple years ago. I'll see if we can get a repeat.
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

I'm not a pro but I can throw one pretty good, I think having a meeting some time on net throwing would be a fun meeting but you would need to have it some where you could show some one how to throw it thats the easiest way to learn and teach someone.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Trout Trent wrote:
you would need to have it some where you could show some one how to throw it thats the easiest way to learn and teach someone.
How bout the deck of my boat?? :-D

I have a second suggestion for a meeting agenda. If there's enough interest I'd sure be interested in a "how to" session on tying the various basic knots commonly used. Attaching terminal tackle, leader to line, bottom rigs, etc.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

For me a Saturday in Jan or Feb would be best, that would leave plenty of time to cover everything in 1 session. During the week will be hard for me to make it. f
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

On the deck of your boat sounds good to me I've seen some of the fish you catch, I'll take some of that :thumbup:
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

I can throw one fairly well, but would be interested in learning some other techniques, such as the overhead throw, good for wading in water chest deep, and am always looking for an easier way to throw one. :D
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

I've always admired how a couple of guys can herd mullet into the shallows then net them with a toss from the front of the boat. That's what I want to learn.
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Someone told me they saw & ad in Woods & Water on how too... some guy who teaches this.. i haven't had time to check into it...anyone else heard of him ? I think a local guy , around Perry or something like that.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I would suspect that there would be more than 1 area of interest as to technique. I'd like to see at least the following covered.

1. Throwing while wading for mullet (8 ft or more?)
2. Throwing a bait net while wading (6 ft 3/8 mesh or ?)
3. Throwing from boat deck both 1 and 2 above
4. What differences are there in materials, color, etc in net construction.
5. Chuming methods used for bait fish and shrimp.
6. Likely areas to look for bait/mullet/shrimp while cast netting
7. Cleaning, Care, and maintenance

I have very little experience but I believe there are different methods of gathering the net for a throw depending on the size of the net and probably depending on your location (boat or wading). I'm only interested (at this time) in developing techniques for using a bait net from my deck. I'm not saying we should ignore the other aspects, just trying to show that there could be quite a bit of material to cover, certainly enough to develop an interesting agenda.
Last edited by Sir reel on December 20th, 2005, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
salty_dog
Site Sponsor

Post by salty_dog »

At the JR Aucilla store is a guy that used to live im my area of Pinellas County who is know for great handmade nets. He will give tips on the art. Will probably spend more time with ya if you bought one of his.
snook
Site Sponsor

Post by snook »

Frank, my name is Jeff Horne, I'm planning on spending some time at ecofina starting with the Christmas Holidays 12/21-12/25. I,m pretty handy with a cast net and wouldn,t mind showing you how. would like to meet some of you guys. My family is in the process of buying one of the places there. If you have the time while i,m up there see Bobby at the store and he can show you where we will be at. I think the call it the convention center. to me its a duplex. any way stop by if you get the chance. not much of a computer guy,havent even learned how to e-mail. makes my wife nervous any time i play on her computer look foward to meeting you. :) :)