Keaton 1/2/03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dstockwell

Keaton 1/2/03

Post by dstockwell »

Arrived at the Marina about 7:30 to get a few goods, you see the local Wally-World does not carry some of the SA colors that we use. Anyway, asked the local dude who was running the boat lift how the Trout bite was. I must have confused him, because he proceeded to tell me he just down loaded the forecast off the buoy, and it was suppose to be a moderate chop to choppy, and 5 – 7 offshore. I looked at him a little weird, because I know it was not projected to be that bad. Got the goods and headed to the public ramp. WOW, it is low tide, and -1.5 feet. But for Keaton still enough to launch. I just pushed the boat off so I would not run off the end of the ramp.

Putted down the canal, and when we made the last turn at the end of the canal to the first channel marker we find a flat gulf. So I headed north to an area we frequent in search of the elusive lock jawed Trout. Well we tried every color SA we had, and got nota, Zippo, so I switched over to live shrimp. Three of the first keepers, plus two short came from the live shrimp, and also the biggest one. The bite was not intense, 2 – 3 casts per shrimp before a good hit, but still productive. At about 10:30 the water went dead slack, no movement, and the floating grass was sitting in patches. After several more stops with limited success, on anything we tried, I would guess about 1:30 the pinfish woke up, because the shrimp were getting nailed by them things. I throw out a shrimp on a Cajun Thunder and tail hooked a pin. Now I don’t about you guys, and gals, but I have never caught a Trout on a pin. So I headed back to our original spot where we used SA exclusively. This is where we nailed our last three keepers for a total of seven. Left the public ramp at 4:30 for our trip home. Caught some nice fish, it was not cold, a good day on the water.

trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Congrats DS. I'm envious at best! Can I follow you around or rub up against your boat or something?????? BTW, I've caught a buncha trout with a pin under the cajun thunder! I'm glad you and your boy had a good day!
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Hey, DS, Where'd ya buy them fish? :wink:
What was I supposed to do today?
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Anytime there TF.. :D
jcflats

wow

Post by jcflats »

Looks like a great day to be on the water. Congrads. Did you try any D.O.A. shrimp? Sounds like they would produce fished S.....L....O....W . Nice catch there! :D
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

A nice report and some super pictures, well done DS. :)