chum for baitfish

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flyrodder

chum for baitfish

Post by flyrodder »

i don't know if any one else has heard of this but i recently heard it from a friend and it works GREAT. take several cans of mackeral (the kind you get from the store) put it in a big bowl and mix with oatmeal. mix it all up and form little balls from the mix, then when you go fishing throw the balls into the water and wait, then throw your castnet out and ya'll get a load of bait fish. hope this works for ya'll too. :smt006
If there is no fishing or dogs in Heaven, I want to go where there is!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

How long does it take? :-D
RRunkel

Post by RRunkel »

This is what I use to chum for Sardines/Geenbacks/Pins

Ingredients

All are easily stored on-board. In fact, in many instances I mix on-board after anchoring and setting up to throw the cast net.

Of course, it could be prepared several days prior and stored in the refrigerator or freezer. If you forget it is there, it will remind you later.

Instant Oat Meal in envelopes - about 20 to a box
Instant Cream of Wheat in envelopes - about 20 to a box
Jack Mack – 15oz. Cans
Purina Mills Tropical Fish Food #5121 or similar
Menhaden Oil, enhancer, not really required

The following makes 1 quart – generally enough to chum in the AM and PM

1 can of Jack Mack, do not drain
1 envelope of oat meal
1 envelope of cream of wheat
3 cups of Tropical fish food

Mix in a 2 qt pail. Bare hands work great. Add salt water or tropical fish food to achieve dough like consistency

Anchor in the tide current from the stern. Cast from the bow platform. Pitch bits of dough into the current.

Draw the bait as close as possible to bow with consistent chumming. On the Southwest flats, the best areas are typically on the edge of a drop-off (2’ deep to 4’ deep) with grass present.

It only takes 5 minutes to mix the ingredients. No mess, no fuss at home.

If the baitfish are anywhere near the anchor point they will arrive within 10 minutes.

Another note:

The tropical fish food, pitched from a hollow plastic bat will generate a feeding spree for species such as Reds and Snook.

Livestock feed stores routinely carry this product and certainly can order if requested. Cost is about $17 for a 50# bag.
It’s a dry fine pellet, very easy to store and has a very long shelf life.

I carry enough ingredients on-board to make about 4 quarts in a can cooler along with a can opener.

DR
RF16 2001, Papa's Rx, Johnson 90, Minnkota RT70AP/Copilot, Garmin 182C/GSD 20, Raymarine L365, Phantom 1000 VHF, EZ Loader Alum