Poling the Flats

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tin can
Site Sponsor

Re: Poling

Post by tin can »

Apalach wrote:
HUSH SR This is startin ta get GOOD

Dadgum kayakers--always trying to start trouble!! :-D
There aughta be a law against um. :wink:
What was I supposed to do today?
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

where's the dang backup moderator when you need him!
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Get that monkey off my back.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

That aint no Monkey, it's a GORILLA :smt026 :smt025 :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

Chalk I agree with you on the issue, In cold weather PVC becomes very brittle and if it broke with all your weight on it you could expect it to end up through a lung or something else. If I did alot of shore nuf real polling I would invest in a pole designed for that purpose :thumbup:
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

If you are simply using the pole to move off a bar or push through a shallow spot the PVC will probably suit your needs and most here seem to agree on that. However, I've spent many a day on the push pole and I simply could not do it with a PVC pole. If your are pushing from any sort of platform, the pole needs to be at least 18 feet long. A push pole flexes under the extreme pressure often exerted when poling. Push poling is not simply using your arms to propel the boat forward; it's sticking the point in the bottom and leaning all your weight into the pole. I'm amazed at how much the pole will flex without shattering. PVC is rigid. I have no doubt that a PVC pole of adequate length will explode under the rigors of normal poling. No doubt at all. I gotta agree with Chalk here.

I guess it boils down to what you like to do most. If you plan on putting someone on the pointy end of your boat and pushing them around the shallows all day long, get yourself a pole designed for poling. If you are fishing the bars and creeks that litter Apalachee Bay and your "poling" will be limited, I'm sure MJ's 10-12' PVC pole will suit your needs (hell I remember a report where he pushed himself a couple of miles up and down the Aucilla with that thing :o ).
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

I use a paddle. :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO

DR. J.

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

DR. J. I MADE A PUSH POLE, BOAT POLE WHATEVER, OUT OF 1 1/2" SCHEDULE 40 , IT IS 14' LONG. PUT A (T) ON THE FOOT, GLUED IN 2 6" PIECES OF PIPE AND PUT CAPS ON THEM AND AT THE TOP. IT IS ABOUT 10 YRS OLD AND I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT. I USE IT TO PUSH OR POLE A 16' FIBERGLASS BOAT THAT WEIGHS ABOUT 600# AND GENERALLY WE HAVE 500 # OF PEOPLE, ICE CHEST, FUEL ETC. IT IS LIGHT ENOUGH THAT THIS OLD 85 YEAR OLD MAN CAN STILL PUSH THE BOAT AROUND FOR 3-4 HOURS WITHOUT GIVING OUT.
PA (AKA) THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO
snook
Site Sponsor

Post by snook »

guys ya,ll have done a good job answering the doc's question,i,ve used the high dollar poles and the ones my daddy always made me,i,m not a up on the platform poling guide, but i use one to push into the spots as quiet as i can everyday. and i prefer the wooden ones my dad made me, he made them out of small diameter straight trees with a minimal of wood work, basically debarking, deburring,and cutting to desired length.he made them out of all kinds of trees the one i have now and the last one he will ever get to build for me is cypress about 16' long.finished size is about 2 to 2.5"on the big end and about 1.5to1.75 on the little end. I find the wooden ones are quiter in my boat.. he also made some good ones out australian pine,and cedar. they are heavier then the composite poles , but no one steals them either. ive hade this one about 5 years and find myself babying it. just sentimental i guess..GOD BLESS ps .make it longer than you think you'll need
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Any pole can hurt you if it breaks while poling. Any of them can break, not saying they will, but the potential is always there.

Bamboo is stronger than PVC for the same length and diameter.

PVC will get the job done if used judiciously.

Wood is good.

If you can find a hickory sapling of the desired length and diameter, you've hit GOLD.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

You guys are allot of fun, even if we all have different opinions on what to use for a push pole. :wink:

Most all of us can keep our remarks clean and fun and keep ridiculing and personal insults :o to a minimum .. To all of you Thanks! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

MJ
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Like the Doc said, all he wants it for is to push off weeds, and bars. PVC will be fine for that.
I personally keep a closet pole handrail on my jon to pole, or push off of the before mentioned. 16' long, and you can cut it to desired length. Costs about $25.
A piece of bamboo from my duck blind got me back to the hill when I used it to pole across Miccosoukee. Motor problems! So I know bamboo works as well.
To me poling is not fun. However if someone enjoys it, then I would invest in a fiberglass one. Just be sure to epoxy it or something. My buddy got one of those $500 poles for Christmas. Just sitting next to it in the same boat would make you itch! He ended up selling it for next to nothing!
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

I been thinking of making a push pole, has anyone got any ideas??? :D Oh, the question has already been asked..And, discussed. :-D :-D
I'll ask another one..Has anyone ever thought about using the handle of one of these?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... 731-TP3714
The price doesn't seem that expensive at about 40 bucks, if it would work. Seems for light poling it would be a good possibility. For that price, you could just throw away the apparatus on the end, and replace it with a foot of some kind. I'm not sure about the extention part. Might have to fix it in the extended postion some way. I'm sure some of our 'in house engineers' could figure that out.

Another idea for possibly making pvc or one of the above poles safer, is to, maybe, inject foam into it. I saw this explained on another forum some place. I think, they used a length of plastic tubing attchd to the can to do this..

Anyway, Some more ideas for ya, Dr. Jones. Good luck with it. :D
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Yep q,
Might work fine, but perhaps a less expensive route to check out first would be the aluminum extendable handles for cleaning swimming pools, or the extenders for using paint rollers at Lowe's or HD. I have been planning on looking at those, but have not yet got around to them. Been too busy keeping up with all the give and take in the current thread! :-D
Best,
Dick
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Keep in mind anything that extends (pool pole, paint extentions etc...) also will become shorter if enough pressure is applied. Stick with a one peice unit of whatever material you use.
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?