fishing 3/20 and 3.26

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

fishing 3/20 and 3.26

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Sorry I didn't get around to posting last weekend, but there wasn't much to say anyway. Headed to Wakulla Beach to try some spring patterns. Fished oyster bars, creeks, flats on both sides of Patty's and some other flats. Managed one trout and about 8 cats on strait jigs.

This weekend it was almost freezing when I woke up, so I decided it was back to winter patterns. Sunday put in at the lighthouse early. There was no water anywhere. Water wasn't even up to the ramp. Passed an Action Craft that was headed out of the refuge when I was headed in; bet he wishes he had a Gheenoe instead. just kidding it was a really nice boat.

After a half hour push out of the canal I started up some creeks. Beached myself twice on sand bars that I had no idea were infront of oyster bars I fish regularly and had marked on my GPS. Finally got to my first hole at about 9:15 and knew things had to happen quickly (if I was going to catch my 4:30 to Atlanta).

Second cast I caught probably the heaviest trout I've ever caught. Only 24", but it had to be pushing the 8lbs mark (no scale). It had four big snaggle teeth, golden mouth and a tail thicker than my wrist (no skinny wrist jokes). It was so reminiscent of my days in Michigan... Drifting a jig with the strong incoming tide when it started to move. Didn't feel a thing, but I tightened the line, set the hook and knew I had hung a beast. It started upstream immediately taking line with it. Thought for sure it was a red, but when it came to the boat I saw the trout. Between my cold fingers and the steelhead looking beast in front of me I thought I had relapsed. Proceeded to catch 8-10 fat trout between 20"-24" before I had to leave.

Aligators were everywhere and very slow. Two eagles circled for about 30 minutes, and the dolphin were crashing mullet hard. All in all, probably enough to keep my happy until I return from Hotlanta later this week.

Sorry no pictures, that's what happens when Katie doesn't fish with me. :smt009 Hopefully I talk her into going next time.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

8-10 trout over 20" Very nice. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

St. Marks is my guess...

Nice Job Showboat... :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

That's a good day in anyone's book. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Very nice... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

You might repeat that if you go back to that same spot on the same part of the tide again.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

come on MJ. St. Marks is close guess, but there is always enough water in the St. Marks to navigate (as far as I know which is little). Can't give you the details, but it is actually the same hole Katie caught where Katie caught the red pictured in my first post.

Can't wait to meet all of you at the tourniment in April. See you soon.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

some nice fish for sure. :thumbup: