Lets talk tackle strategy

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

T Smith
Site Sponsor

Lets talk tackle strategy

Post by T Smith »

So now that everybodys finished reading the reports of the past weekend and drying the drool out of their keyboards, lets talk tackle.

I will be heading over to Destin for our anniversary in May and plan on making an extended trip to Bass Pro. :D
My question is what is your general strategy with tackle? Growing up fishing with dad I never paid much attention to strategy, just used what dad told me would work best.

My general understanding says, that with cloudy days, muddy water or other low light conditions you want to use flourescent or bright color lures.
On bright sunny days or clear water you would typically use natural or silver colored baits.

Other generalizations im trying to figure out or have heard:

The rougher the water the worse for topwater, the fish have a harder time judging their attack and they dont notice the splashing or sound as easy. And, fish dont like to hit topwater in bright sun, due to the sun shining in their eyes also making it harder to judge their attack.

For the most part do you feel that these generalizations are correct?
I know there are always exceptions to the rule but for the most part are these the general rules of thumb. :thumbup:
So back to my original question. If you are buying tackle or re-organizing your tackle box, what do you generally want to have every time you go out. My plan is to cover the water, depth wise and have a variety of colors for the varying light conditions.

So a basic tackle box might look like:

Plastic shrimp,
Plastic minnows,
Plastic jerk bait,

jigheads for the above

Topwater plugs,
walk the dog type
chug bug splasher type

diving plugs
Mirrolure sinkers etc.
lipped diving plugs, varying depths
shallow sinkers, catch 2000 etc.

Now for all the baits above would you have a variety of colors for changing light conditions ?

Also do most of you have a tackle box for sunny days and one for cloudy days. Or just always take all your tackle, so your prepared for anything that swims, like my Dad.

There's obviously alot of lures I've left out for simplicity's sake.
I am trying to develop a strategy and start having a reason for using a bait. I ususlly catch fish, but I don't really have a reason to use one lure over the other except the reasons I mentioned above.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Good Lord, T. You're making this much more difficult than it needs to be.

Purchase 4 baits in each category you listed. Of those 4 baits buy 2 in more natural colors and get 2 in the brighter colors.

Take all of them when you go fishing, decide if you want to fish hard baits or soft baits, deep, shallow, or on top. Tie something on and start casting. If you're not getting bit, change lures or locations or both. Keep doing this until you find a lure/technique that works. Then go back to the tackle store and buy more.

The lure choice is not as important as the location you're fishing in. Most all lures will catch fish, but not if you're in a poor location. 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. There is a lot of truth in that old saying.

90% of the time I am throwing a topwater bait or a gold spoon and I have found you're generalization about topwater baits to be incorrect.
GULP! free since 1970.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I fish dark lures in dark water and light lures in clear water...love catching trout on topwater in the middle of the summer in the middle of the day....Have caught trout in choppy seas on topwater....but you never know what they maybe chewing on at any given moment....I have seen to many times color make a difference....I was throwing a gold/chartreuse spoon the other day and BD was throwing a gold and another color, if I state the color my gonads might get cut off :o ....We fished the same hole, he was fishing from the back of the boat and I the front, so I had first shot for the most part....he spanked my arse...Been at Econfina when you could throw PT2000 SWA and catch'm, change to Chicken bone, similiar color and couldn't buy a bite, switch and start catching again.....

This is what I carry with me all the time....probably could put what I use in one box and save some weight and money.

birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

You scared me there for a second. :o :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

I need more stuff 8) 8)
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Geez Chalk, you got da lures :o . What down payment and interest are you paying to afford those!!

I'd go with BD on this one. I have found that when I buy new lures they stay in the box, so I don't buy new ones anymore. Always end up using my favorites and move till I find fish and what they want.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Most of us carry way too much tackle. I have as much tackle as Chalk at all times. But I use about 4 baits. I do vary color. Find what baits work for you, and fish them. I do fish light baits in clear water, and dark baits in stained or dark water.

If you do this, you'll develop a couple of confidence baits. Confidence is the most important ingredient. If you don't have confidence in a bait, you won't fish it much, therefore you won't catch fish with it. Keep notes and find what works for you.
What was I supposed to do today?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Chalk wrote:....I was throwing a gold/chartreuse spoon the other day and BD was throwing a gold and another color, if I state the color my gonads might get cut off :o
I'll bet I know what color it was.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Shhh...Chalk would probably like to keep his gonads. :-D
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Eerman wrote:Shhh...Chalk would probably like to keep his gonads. :-D
Chalk keepin his gonads ain't my problem. :wink:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

tin can wrote:Chalk keepin his gonads ain't my problem. :wink:
:o It is if you wanna keep yours :smt027 :lol:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Reel Slow wrote:Geez Chalk, you got da lures :o . What down payment and interest are you paying to afford those!!
I'm gonna tell you boyz how to do it....The good lord invented Super Walmart for women and fisherman.....Wife says honey we need some "stricking" paper, I say 10/4 my lovely bride....in the truck down to Walmart......Stricking paper in hand....detour through the tackle section and some how a lure or three ends up in the basket.....There you go, piece of cake

This tactic works for Tylenol, hair spray, milk, bread, etc

:thumbup: :thumbup: :lol:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Its a classic move, no doubt about it. Its worked many times for me. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

Well I knew I'd get good advice and entertainment out of that question.

I hear ya bout Wal-Mart a lure gets lost real easy in a cart full of groceries. :wink:

Ok, well I've got my favorite baits and I also find that if I buy something new I don't use it very much cause I don't have any confidence in it I guess.

So I'll just go get different colors of my favorite baits. Thats what I was planning on doing anyways.

:thumbup:
big bend gyrene

Tin Can - Need We Worry?

Post by big bend gyrene »

Tin Can - can't help but ask...

Seems you and Chalk fish together quite often. Doesn't it scare you each time he goes for tackle and his preference for pink tackle is so visibly evident?!!! :o

Good gosh, for a man worried about losing his nads he sure embraces the color pink. I go to Wally World all the time, use the "lure in the cart" trick and if I even noticed pink lures (I've evidently overlooked them), I would shy away from them to avoid drawing my wife's attention and the teasing I would get on my color preference... on a more serious note, when I saw Chalk had pink plastics, a pink CT, pink top-waters, and pink jig heads to boot, I thought something had to be wrong with my monitor and it was showing red as pink... that is until I saw very red jig heads right next to the mass of pink ones! :wink:

Weird avatars of Chalk in some sort of perverted bondage outfit, another with a wagging tongue, and now this? I have a real simple suggestion for his next avatar - a pink piece of blackboard chalk! :smt005
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945