Keaton Beach Help?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Keaton Beach Help?

Post by noleflyfisher »

Fellas, I have a buddy that wants to take his boat out of Keaton and would like me to show him around. Problem is I've never fished out of Keaton so the blind will be leading the blind. He has an 18ft Key West. Without being specific, would anyone mind sharing some general thoughts on Keaton and what our best bet would be. Thanks, Nole.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Nole,
I can't help much, only been there once. Bud and I fished a little to the left of the channel; but, it was March and we were in a little deeper water. It was the NFGFC tournament. I know a lot of folks went right of the channel. A lot of people fish the "doghead" but it looks like it would probably be a circus this time of year. Sure somebody who knows what they're talking about will pipe in. :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Fish west young man,fish west. :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Rocks north, sand south til Steinhatchee....You can structure fish north, bars, creeks etc.....south is more like St. Joe, fishing grass and pot holes.

He's fishing inshore JT, west would be offshore :lol:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Chalk wrote:Rocks north, sand south til Steinhatchee....You can structure fish north, bars, creeks etc.....south is more like St. Joe, fishing grass and pot holes.

He's fishing inshore JT, west would be offshore :lol:
Not the way I get there. :smt005
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Thanks guys :thumbup: .
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

We fish out of Keaton regularlly, and have the best luck north of the channel. Go about two to five miles north and look for clearer water with good live grass. Fish can be anywhere from 2 ft to 6 ft deep this time of year. If you fish to far north you will get real close to spring warrior, which will notice by the stained water and oyster bars. This area can be good for reds but not as good for trout. Also not so good on a fiberglass hull. I don't think there are many "secret holes" just lots of grass beds. Last trip we only caught them when we found good grass, this time of year not all the grass has grown out yet so you want the good tall grass, something the trout can hide in.

If you want suggestions on baits, many work there the best seem to be Cajun Thunders with candy corn or electric chicken eels. Or CTs with live pinfish or shrimp, or straight jigs. Sometimes one works better than others.

Check this website out for a little more info and fishing report, the current report starting with the comment about a 12 pound triple tail is about two weeks old. But there is other good info you may need also: http://www.keatonbeachmarina.com/

Almost forgot if you go on Saturday or Sunday, get there early, before daybreak, are you will wait in line to put the boat in either at the ramp or off the boat lift.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I've caught fish in front of Keaton, North of Keaton, South of Keaton and way off shore straight out from Keaton. Chalk pretty much nailed it, although there is a rock shelf south of Keaton just before you get to Pine Island. There is an old bird rack just south of the Keaton channel that usually hold fish this time of year. There is also a hump north of Keaton out from Jaboo Island that should hold fish this time of year.

Too many folks there now, so I fish out of Spring Warrior where you better know where your going or you will be paddling back :o
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Nole, everyone has offered good advice. You mentioned your friend has an 18' Key West. If you go north, be careful up shallow. That's a good size boat, and the rocks would love to eat the bottom out of it.

Good luck.
What was I supposed to do today?
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Awesome info guys. I thinks me stay south :o . I can't wait to get back to Lanark :wink: .
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

You do have to go 7 miles or so North before you get to Spring Warrior so there are lots of good innshore before that with no rocks. South is more patchy and grass and the water in most cases is clearer. You have to watch how close in you are South as the water is shallower further from shore than North is.
catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

What everybody said. Miles of beutiful grass flats. Very easy place to fish, but has gotten wayyyy too crowded on the weekends. Go on a week day if you can nole'.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

FYI

There are several nice rock piles and oyster bars before Spring Warrior, just past Deykle Beach....most are marked with PVC pipes but some are not.