St. Marks Spanish

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

johnsojc

St. Marks Spanish

Post by johnsojc »

Surprize, Surprize, surprize!!!! Thank you Gomer. Imagine my suprise when we tore into the Spanish boating a 4lb, 26" (to fork) not far from the lighthouse Wednesday midday. For whatever reason the Yozuri floating redhead was unstoppable from a drift!! A late day realization that I had caught a limit without a leader and without loosing the plug gave me pause to thank the fishing gods for their blessing on this ignorant soul! Don't know if it had any effect but I was also using Cajun Lightning (?) 12 lb. red mono as well.

May your lines be long and wet!

8)
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Good to hear it. I wore out the Kings on that bait last year, and it is probably my # 1 hard bait for trout.

I'm going to chase those spaniards tomorrow and probably sunday as well. They are my favorite fish to catch.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

johnsojc

Where'd they go?

Post by johnsojc »

Well despite everything I've read about the migratory aspect of the spanish I went back to the same spot on Saturday and was only able to find a couple small ones. I just assumed there was something unique about the area so it would probably draw fish while they are here. Any wisdom to share on the topic??

:-?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

We only found 1 keeper in two days of fishing this past weekend. They haven't shown up in sizeable numbers yet. I would imagine that the dark water, salinity, and water temp have something to do with it. However, I expect all that to change by next weekend.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

That one keeper was good last night. :wink:
johnsojc

Identification Quandry

Post by johnsojc »

:o Do have a question... We rounded the tower outside the spoils Saturday and threw out a christmas rig and in five seconds the drag began to scream. Much to our dissappointment the line was filled (six) with what we think were blue runners. Does this sound right? Are they worth eating?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Did they look like this?

They are not good to eat but make great bait for kings, grouper and cobia. How big were they?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

johnsojc

Yep, dat dem

Post by johnsojc »

Yep that was what they were. As far as length... maybe 10 - 12 inches. How would you rig those for Spanish or king? :roll:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

A little big for spanish at 10 to 12 inches, but a smker king bait for sure. I use a sevenstand wire leader rigged with a live bait hook in front and stinger treble in the back and freeline the bait behind the boat while anchored or drifting.

Something like this...

Tom Keels
Site Founder

aqua culture

Post by aqua culture »

I am new at this whole offshore thing, and have a lot of questions it seems. As mentioned in another post, I am heading to dog island this weekend to visit some family and would like to try some offshore fishing if the weather permits. Your above post mentions using those blue runners for kings. Are there any kings in close? I will probably try several different species. trolling for grouper with stretches, maybe anchor and bottom fish, troll for spanish on my way around the island. can you give some info on the best bites in your area this time of year?

once again thanks for the help,

Aqua Culture
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Probably still a little early for the kings to be here, unless they way offshore. Trolling with stretches would be a great idea. Hit 40 to 50 feet SE of Dog Island and put them out. Maybe troll a #1 clark spoon down the middle. You should'nt have any trouble finding spanish.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

johnsojc

Trolling

Post by johnsojc »

With that spoon what type of arrangement do you use for weight? Trolling lead, 3-way swivel? What size?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I normally don't use weight. I just let it stay just under the surface, even skipping across it.
Tom Keels
Site Founder