St Marks - 6/24 - What a Day!

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Mr Flats

St Marks - 6/24 - What a Day!

Post by Mr Flats »

Took the whole family (3 boys - 4 1/2, almost 8 and 9 plus my wife who gets seasick or comatose due to seasickness medicine) to St Marks yesterday put the boat in around 11 and caught some bait fish in the canal.

Went to a favorite spot in East River ... nothing.

Went to a couple of the bars right outside the river .... nothing.

Went out to about 6-7 and anchored ... a few bites, one ladyfish came off about 10 feet from the boat after putting on an air show but ... nothing in the box.

Went to the sandbar and anchored to let everyone cool off and eat lunch - they all had a good time there.

Went out for a drift on the east flats. Bait everywhere and we lost about ten of our bait fish under CT's and Popping Corks. We hooked the bait through the nose, the mouth, mid-body and just in front of the tail. They kept getting bitten in half right up to the hook - I've never seen it before ... 4 1/2 y/o runs out of steam and home we go with nothing in the box.

On the way in I am bent that we were out there for so long in the heat and the kids didn't have anything to show for it. In the car on the way home my boys said - Dad can we go fishing again tomorrow :thumbup:
2true

Post by 2true »

Probably baby sharks eating your bait. Oh well You tried!
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Sounds like you've got him hooked :-D :thumbup:
CrispyFishin

just the same

Post by CrispyFishin »

We set up a family day like yours and did just about the same. Fished for awhile in front of the lighthouse, release one short (the first one ever in the new boat!)... went to the sandbar to cool off/eat...

Got bored eating and boated the only keeper speck at 16.5" and released one just short of legal to grow a little more.

We explored a little more and ran out to St. Marks reef since it was so flat out! Hooked several things that we couldn't land on our flats tackle except for one weeee shark that got the admiration of our little girl (5 y/o)

When terminal sunburn set it, we eased into the wakulla river to cool off. 5 y/o got to see a manatee.

Good family fun! :wink:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Sounds fun. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
manley
Site Sponsor

Post by manley »

family time ROCKS! :thumbup: :smt004