Fishing without a boat???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rgharris83

Post by rgharris83 »

I've always fished around Tallahassee in boats with my step-dad. He is in Georgia for a while and I'm trying to get my low budget boat together. MY QUESTION IS: Are there any suggestions of locations I can go in this area to fish without a boat? I prefer saltwater but I'm just looking for a spot or two to get out there?? Thanks for any suggestions...
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

St. George Island, Wakulla Beach, Mashes Sands, Bald Point, St. Marks. All good places for Saltwater beach/wade fishing.

Jim Woodruff Dam off the catwalks is good for stripers and catfish.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

rgharris83

Post by rgharris83 »

Thanks Tom! We have a place down at Mashes Sands and I was hoping to do some fishing this weekend. So I guess I'm going to head down there. We use to walk around the beach down there to the left and fish off the end of that Island (or it looks like one from that end at least). I just wasn't sure how the fishing is over there because I know how shallow it gets during low tide, you can walk 300 yards out in marsh. Any suggestions on on which side of the beach is better? I've never headed down the right side but I know it circles around back toward the mouths of those canals. Our house is located on the middle canal.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Where it swings back to the left is good. There are lots of oyster bars back in there and if you can catch a high falling tide you should be able to pick up some fish later in the spring. Although right now the canals may be holding fish. I'm not sure because its been 5 or 6 years since I've been there.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Waterdog

Post by Waterdog »

There is also a pretty good write up in the Articles section of this site...
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/docs/arti ... ishing.htm