Spring Warrior to Keaton Beach 4-19-03 to 4-24-03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Spring Warrior to Keaton Beach 4-19-03 to 4-24-03

Post by CSMarine »

Well I'm back boys from an extended flats trip. Wish I had a better report for Ya'll.
The first day, Sat. 19 April, wife and I left Keaton Beach Landing at 930 am. Water temp was 78 degrees, slightly choppy, and still stained dark. Fished lots of artificial and live pin fish in all depths most of the morning with no keepers. About 1:00 pm started fishing with cut pin fish tails in three to four feet. Within 2 hours we had 10 keeper trout, 1 spanish, and 4 blue fish. Ended the first day smiling, :P and eating fresh fish for supper at the camper. :lick:
The second day, Easter Sunday, spent most of the day with family at campsite. That afternoon about 3:00 pm, took daughter out. Water temp was 79 degrees, rough, dark as night, with lots of floating grass. Caught 4 keeper trout, 1 spanish, 3 blues, and 1 of each kind of trash fish in the Gulf, including a huge hound fish about 3 and a half to four feet. The biggest I've ever hooked. Used cut pin fish tail in 3-5 foot. Had an excellent time. Good Father and Daughter quality time.
The third day, Family all gone home, just wife and myself again. Woke up to 45 degree, windy, and overcast morning. Water temp had dropped to 69 degrees, and extremly rough. Never saw even a hint of sunshine nor trout all day. Tried it all. Caught 4 blue fish and 1 spanish in about 8 hours of fishing.
The fourth day, Tues April 22nd. Like to froze that night in the camper. Left the ramp at Keaton about 8:30 am. Water temp 64 degrees, and 3-5 seas breaking into whitecap. air temp 47 degrees, :evil: Started catching baby trout in 2 foot. Got skunked on anything that would keep.
The fifth day, Wed April 23rd. Left the ramp at 1:00 pm. Water temp was 65 degrees, and rough, rough, rough. We were the only boat out most of the day. No keepers til about 3:00 pm. out from Spring Warrior in 10-12 feet of water using cut pin fish tail. Caught a few on Chicken Bone SWA. Wife caught one of biggest flounder I've seen off Keaton Beach. Ended the day with 6 barely keeper trout 16-17 inches long, 1 flounder, 5 blue fish, and 1 spanish.
The sixth day, Thurs. April 24th. Got to the boat ramp at 7:30 am. Launched the boat and started out the canal. Then it happened! :o New throttle cable on my boat broke again. for the third time. :evil: That ended my fishing for the week. Packed up and went home 4 days early.
All in all, the fishing was the worst I've ever seen for this time of year. One observation I made. There are still no rock bass to speak of and not much trash fish up on the grass flats. The water is running 10-15 degrees colder than it was this time last year, and the water is pitch black where it should be bone clear in the area I fish. I have only seen one cobia this year so far. I'll keep hoping the best for this year will brake loose anytime now. 8)
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Good show, CSMarine! Sorry about the cable. Food for thought, its been in the canal when it broke, could of been several miles out.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Your right Chalk. I have a deep affection for my boat now since it always comes apart in the canal and not five miles out in 15 foot of water with occasional waves breaking over the bow, like it was the day before the cable broke. The little bit of good news is, Flint River Marine in Albany ordered a new set of controls and are installing them at no cost to me.
Semper Fi