COLORED FISH BITES

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

COLORED FISH BITES

Post by Sir reel »

I purchased some colored fish bites at the recent FS show. It seems to me that the colored ones do NOT last as long as the plain, :thumbdown: and I have seen no better results than with the plain as far as the bite. Has anyone else had a similar experience or not? I like the product over all but am considering sticking with the plain from now on. Either way I'd be interested in hearing from you. Thanks.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I kind of wondered that myself. I got some of the X-outs from them and I was wondering if that was the case, or if it was because they were seconds. Specifically the orange ones. The green glitter bites seem about the same as the others.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Are you referring to the color itself lasting? I have not really noticed any difference otherwise.
Ken
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I think he means they seem to "melt" a little faster.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

mrmike

Post by mrmike »

Well this is a new one on me... I guess my questions are these... do the colored baits literally dissolve faster than the white baits... or do the colored baits not hold up to as many attacks as the white baits?

Another thing to consider is... were the white baits fished at a different time and perhaps in cooler water than the colored baits were? Water temps have a dramatic impact on how quickly the baits dissolve.

If however all the colored baits were fished at the same and you noticed differences in the dissolve rate, this is something we've never seen before.

We're ALWAYS interested in this kind of feedback because we're still learning too.

Tight lines and safe journeys to all!!
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Mike it seemed like the colored ones, specifically the orange for me, got soft and came off quicker than the other colors. It could be all in my head too. We still caught all our pinfish on them Saturday though. The water was warmer than it has been all year though. That could have been it.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Now that you mention it Tom, I did notice that the Bites were lasting longer with the cooler water temps than they did during the summer last year. I have used them for about two years now and have just gottin used to the slower and faster melts in regards to the water temp "i guess" :D Course, I could just be losing my mind also :lol: :thumbup: By the way, thanks for adding the new Icons :thumbup: :thumbdown: :hammer: :email: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

mrmike,

I have fished the colored fishbites and the plain the past two week ends to specifically try and determine if there were a difference. Now I need to preference my comments in that they are just that. My comments and My perception. As I stated before I like the product. But, as of right now I'm going to order only the plain ones. My wife tested the theory and She had the same impression... that the colored fishbites desolved, melted faster or what ever term you prefer. For me it has not been an issue of the color fading. I tried to equally fish both the plain and the three colors alternating back and forth over the past two weeks. The bite and water temp should not have been a factor under those conditions. I keep them stored in the same place in two zip lock bags and I don't believe either group was exposed to any difference in conditions. The only difference I know of is that the plain fish bites are older than the colored ones, but I haven't perceived any change based on age.
mrmike

Post by mrmike »

Sir Reel,

I am in no way doubting your observation, it is however, the first time anyone has made mention of it. The surprising factor here is that the color pigments are such a small percentage of the mix that it makes no sense that they would cause the baits to dissolve quicker.

I'm going to pass along a link to this disscussion thread on to the inventor - Dr. Carr

If anyone would like to email him with direct questions about this subject, his addy is

wecarr@aug.com

Thanks for your input... ALL of it is extremely valuable to us!
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

Mr. Mike
I tried the sparkle ones, and they do not hold up as good as the flesh shrimp color. They come off the hook much quicker than the plain without the sparkle.
Virgil Davis
GO GATORS!!
If it does not meet your standards, Lower your standards!!
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

But they work!! :D
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Yes they do! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Tom Keels
Site Founder

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I can't say on the colored salt water versions of the fishbites. But can tell you that I have used the catfish fishbites for fresh water. I fish in some pretty swift, stumpy conditions with them, and they stay good in those conditions. I've even used them on bush hooks, and the bream and turtles don't mess with them, but the catfish bite them. I've caught channel cats using only white fishbites. I've tried them in combination with live bait for Apps. but not much luck with that.
Semper Fi
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good afternoon folks,

Well...I guess I'll reply to my own post...(does this count as talk'n to your self?)

As I previously said, I like the product...just finished ordering some more (plain flesh). But, while I was browsing the fishbite site... I noticed that they specifically mention that the "cold water" version has a faster desolving design. It made me wonder if we could have perhaps gotten ahold of some of that product by mistake?

Anyway, I agree it works. If it didn't, I wouldn't care if it stayed on the hook or not :D
mrmike

Post by mrmike »

Sir Reel,

We do indeed make a Coldwater formula that does dissolve faster but it only comes in white which puts the kybosh on the color theory...

As for the observation that the colors dissolve faster, we're going to look into it just to make certain that it's not a case of one or two slightly substandard batches. One problem with have a cutting edge product is that sometimes the edge can cut back.