Duck Gumbo

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Duck Gumbo

Post by bman »

I have been grilling my ducks and wanted to try something new- found a recipe on the internet and then augmented it... DANG IT IS TASTY!!
Taking it to the office tomorrow for lunch,

DUCK AND ANDOUILLE GUMBO
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 pounds duck breast fillets, diced to bite size, divided
Salt and pepper
3 teaspoons poultry seasoning, divided
1 1/2 pounds diced andouille sausage sliced to bite size, divided
8 Strips of Bacon
4 tablespoons butter
4 ribs celery, chopped
2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 quart chicken stock or broth
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, in puree
1 tsp. dried thyme
file' powder
green onions, thinly sliced on an angle
2 1/2 cups rice, cooked

Soak diced duck at least overnight in Salt water- Use Kosher Salt!

Preheat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat. Brown bacon and remove. Dont remove the bacon fat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and 1 pound of the diced duck. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on half of the poultry seasoning. Brown on all sides, about 2 or 3 minutes. Chop your veggies while it's working. Add half the andouille to the pan and cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer duck and sausage to a dish and repeat with remaining duck and sausage, remembering to season again as you go. Return pan to heat and add butter. When the butter melts brown flower to make a Roux- get it to at least a dark tan. Add chopped celery, peppers, onion and bay. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Cook 3 to 5 minutes to begin to soften veggies. Slowly stir in the broth and bring liquid up to a boil. Duck and sausage to the boiling broth, then stir in your tomatoes and thyme. Bring back up to a bubble, reduce to simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes to combine flavors and adjust your seasonings. Serve gumbo over rice, dust with file' and sprinkle with green onions to garnish. Enjoy!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

Throw away duck, eat potporri.
eat_mo_crawfish

Post by eat_mo_crawfish »

Here's another bird gumbo recipe for those of us not lucky enough to have duck. It takes a bit of effort but is really worth it.

TURKEY, CHICKEN & ANDOUILLE GUMBO

Turkey wings (2)
Celery
Onions
Bell pepper
Garlic
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cayenne power
Salt
Black pepper
Flour
Vegetable oil
Skinless, boneless chicken breast (3)
Chicken thighs (3)
Andouille (1 pound)

First, the stock. Cover the turkey wings with cold water. Add 4 ribs celery cut in 1-2 inch sections, four cloves garlic cut roughly, and two onions (quartered with skin on). Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. After a couple of hours, remove the turkey wings and let cool. Remove skin, feed to dogs, remove meat, put in a bowl and set aside. Inform dogs they only get the skin, not the meat or bones. Put bones in 350 oven and let them roast. Remove from oven when browned, crack open with cleaver and return to stock pot. Simmer for another couple of hours or more. Occasionally skim fat from top of pot. Be sure to keep enough water in pot to cover all the goodies. Turn off and let cool. Skim as much fat off stock as you can after cooled. Strain through cheesecloth when cool and set stock aside.

Generously coat chicken with salt, cayenne, and garlic powder. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Chop 1.5 cups of celery, 1.5 cups of green bell pepper, and 1.5 cups of onions, mix together in a bowl and allow to rest.

Heat ½ inch of vegetable oil in a heavy pan. Put about 1.5 cups of flour spiced with cayenne, garlic powder and onion powder in a gallon zip lock baggie, put chicken in baggie one or two pieces at a time and shake until well-coated with flour. Fry chicken until done, about 7-8 minutes per side, drain on paper towels. Cut andouille into 1/4 inch cubes and brown.

Carefully drain oil from chicken frying into a glass measuring cup. Put about ½ cup (I think I put a bit less) back in the chicken frying pan, whisk up all the goodies that are stuck to the bottom of the pan, and then add some of the flour from the zip lock. Keep whisking over a medium-high heat to make your roux. Paul Prudhomme suggests a rather dark roux for gumbo, so you want a color darker than the normal caramel.

When the roux is done, remove from heat and add the bowl of veggies. Mix well and set aside.

Put the stock in your gumbo pot, heat up, slowly add roux by the spoonful, whisking the entire time to make sure it’s not clumping. Add the turkey and andouille and simmer for about 45 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer for another 20 minutes.

Garnish with green onions, serve over rice with some french bread on the side.
Fishman
Site Sponsor

Post by Fishman »

Man that sounds good :thumbup: :thumbup:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Ya'll making me hungry. I think I'm gonna grill some teal kabob :-D
Woodburn

Post by Woodburn »

Yum!
I made Duck Jambalaya last year. Came out great!