Its too cold to fish, or is it?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

skikid

Post by skikid »

Just this last summer i discovered how much fun it was to wade on the flats for reds. I fished in the skiiny water until about october. Just last week i went out and tried wading on my old reliable flat, but there was nothing except frostbite on my toes. I was wondering if there were any good spots to wade in the winter, or if thats just a summer time deal?

Thanks,
Skikid
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Generally wade fishing the flats shuts down in the winter. The fish have moved up into the rivers and creeks to the warmer, deeper water. I'm not sure about where to wade in the winter because I've never done it. Maybe someone on the board can shed some light on it.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

jepjones

Post by jepjones »

Hey, I've waded Oklocknee bay off of bald point. It's pretty much hit or miss this time of year, but "chairs creek" (I think this is the name of it) is within walking distance from the state park shores, and you can wade that. The creek leads back to a lake, but I don't know if one could drive there. If you're up for the hike, and decide to give it a try, lemme know how it went.
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

That's a pretty good hike from the State Park at Bald Point, especially carrying gear.

However for future reference there is no better place to wade than Bald Point when it warms up. I wouldn't recommend wearing your fish on a stringer when you come in. I have caught sharks up to 5ft just from the shore in the channel before the first bar.
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

Will fish,

well maybe Chairs creek isn't it. there is a creek that opens up(not the first small one, but the second bigger creek) only 1/4 to 1/2 a mile from the dock. I've walked it a ton a times. However, I usually only carry a couple of spoons and a topwater. I've dragged some bait back there too. It just didn't seem too far.

On the topic of sharks though... yeah I will always keep my fish somewhere else. I usually take a stake and tie my stringer to that and then fish pretty far away. In the spring the sharks get big enough and so numerous I stay on the dock.
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

You might be right about walking there. I probably miss judged because it seems so far when you have to go around the oyster bars to get there from where I fish Bald Point. My bad. Although we should "Point" out that during the warmer months Bald Point and that shoreline is the captial of Yellow Fly Country! That's probably why I never made it there walking.
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

No-see-ums, yellow flies yeah...

of course maybe this is a good time to be there since they aren't :lol:

anyway I thought it might be good in the colder months, but I've never given it a shot. no reason to with the aucilla.