How to make your Lowrance work for you!

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

grouper sandwich

Post by grouper sandwich »

This is a question that was brought up at last nights NFGFC meeting and I felt that it was worth repeating here.

For all of you who have new Lowrance bottom machines but just aren't finding exactly what you're looking for, here are a few tips that may make operation a little smoother and more productive. First off you'll want to switch from AUTOMATIC to MANUAL operation. AUTOMATIC is fine for running around or for simply looking at water depth, but MANUAL is going to give you the fine detail that you'll need to find that little hidey hole old mister grouper is lurking beneath.

Ok, now that you have it off of AUTOMATIC and on MANUAL, you'll need to check your SENSITIVITY. You'll want to set your SENSITIVITY to a very high setting. Not so high that you see nothing but clutter, but at least 90% should be the starting point. Higher sensitivity will allow you to see those blips on or near the bottom that might represent fish or bait. ALWAYS GIVE AN AREA SHOWING FISH OR BAIT A SECOND CHECK!

GRAYLINE is another important feature you'll notice on your Lowrance bottom machine. You're going to want to set the GRAYLINE at a very low setting. I typically use the lowest setting that is above ZERO. Somewhere between 4-8% is usually good. This will make sand and mud bottoms show as a solid black line and anything that is hard such as rock, metal, concrete etc...will show with a portion of GRAYLINE underneath the black line. Here's another little tip, don't pass up hard bottom that shows zero relief. Although it may be flat, it will likely still hold fish and will most definately not recieve as much pressure. These kinds of spots can only be found by using a low GRAYLINE setting.

CHART SPEED, believe it or not, plays a very important roll in making your machine function the way YOU want it to. By setting your CHART SPEED at MAXIMUM, you're giving less desireable echo's less of a chance to reveal themselves. This will mean that only the strongest echo's (grouper, snapper, bait schools etc...) will show up on your screen. This can help prevent you from wasting valuble fishing time on unproductive bottom.

Hopefully these tips will help some of you put a few more fish in the boat. And these tips don't just apply to the Lowrance line of depth finders. The techniques above should be used as a rule of thumb and can be adapted to nearly any brand of machine available. Good luck and good catching!

Post by Goatrope »

Thats good info. Does that hold true for the X85 as well? I was having a little trouble painting the bottom in over a 100 feet with the degree of detail that I wanted. I had some #'s that we most always caught fish on, but looking at it on the X85 it just looked like flat bottom with no fish until you dropped a bait then you would start to see fish on the screen. Any suggestions. Also posted a question for you on the "fishing" forum. Thanks Goatrope :???:
grouper sandwich

Post by grouper sandwich »

Goat, this is especially true with the X-85. In fact, I wrote this from the viewpoint of using the X-75/85. Much of the bottom out in 100 ft. of water is fairly flat with cracks that go down and coral growing on it. You need to set your grayline to a low level so that you can filter out all but the hard bottom. Most of the fish we caught this summer were on bottom that was as flat as a board, but super hard. Without using the settings that I've outlined, we would never have found it.
Goatrope

Post by Goatrope »

Thanks again for the info. Sorry about the Samwich I just saw that. That cleared up a lot of questions I had. It was frustrating last summer trying to find bottom that I knew existed but was unable to locate on the graph. I thought it was operator eror but I was not sure. When I tuned it simular to the way you stated I did see contours but I thought it might be a false echo. Thanks for the reply. Goatrope :grin:
dwoody49
Site Sponsor

Post by dwoody49 »

I needed this info on my GPS. I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow as a matter of fact. Thanks.