Gator Trout Lure

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Gator Trout Lure

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I'm kinda fond of a Mirrolure Top Dog in Black and Chrome and a Catch 2000 in Gold and Silver. But nothing is easier than a CT and Gulp or SWA.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

electric chicken wrote:firetiger stretch 30.... :D
You're after the BIG gator trout. :D
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Redbelly wrote:Boy....I am learning a lot! Bigger lures=bigger trout.
True to a certain degree....but my biggest came on a jig, next largest came on a 5" jerk bait and CSMarine's biggun came on a Cajun Thunder and a jig
electric chicken
Site Sponsor

Post by electric chicken »

AJ wrote:
electric chicken wrote:firetiger stretch 30.... :D
You're after the BIG gator trout. :D

Thats all i go after! :roll: You'd be suprised how far you can cast that monster! :lol:
I'd rather be lucky than good.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've been fortunate enough to land two true gator trout so far in my angling career. The first--a 10-pounder--was caught and released in the Indian River off Hutchinson Island 15 years ago--it ate a DOA shallow-running BaitBuster in black/silver. The second--a 7-pounder--inhaled a bronze Owner topwater plug just east of the SM lighthouse. It was also released.

The current IGFA all-tackle world record for spotted seatrout is a whopping 17-pound 7-ounce monster caught in Ft. Pierce in 1995. If I recall, the bait used was either a live pinfish or pigfish.

The last few Texas gator trout records have been caught on Corky Mullets, a suspending plug with internal foam that is produced by a TX luremaker. Tsunami now makes a knock-off version.

Bottom line--big trout like big baits and I'm convinced someone will land a double-digit fish in the Big Bend in the next couple of years.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

silverking wrote:I've been fortunate enough to land two true gator trout so far in my angling career. The first--a 10-pounder--was caught and released in the Indian River off Hutchinson Island 15 years ago--it ate a DOA shallow-running BaitBuster in black/silver. The second--a 7-pounder--inhaled a bronze Owner topwater plug just east of the SM lighthouse. It was also released.

The current IGFA all-tackle world record for spotted seatrout is a whopping 17-pound 7-ounce monster caught in Ft. Pierce in 1995. If I recall, the bait used was either a live pinfish or pigfish.

The last few Texas gator trout records have been caught on Corky Mullets, a suspending plug with internal foam that is produced by a TX luremaker. Tsunami now makes a knock-off version.

Bottom line--big trout like big baits and I'm convinced someone will land a double-digit fish in the Big Bend in the next couple of years.
I'm pretty sure the record trout was caught on a red/white zara spook Dave. I have that Florida Sportsman around somewhere.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

Biggest I ever caught was right at 25" couple years ago outside rock garden..caught it on a pinfish rig with a piece of fishbite for bait..Couldn't believe that little hook on a bream buster held that fish till I got a net under it....
My favorite though would be a top dog, skitterwalk or zara spook.. Red/white aint a shabby color a tall............
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Tom,
I cetainly could be wrong about the WR bait. My memory ain't what it used to be and the IGFA entries don't list those details. But if it was a classic red/white Spook, that is further proof that big trout hone in on big baits.

But like other posts here, I've caught my share of nice trout on smaller lures like DOA shrimp and Capt Mike's gold spoons. Luck is another factor for catching gators, for sure. That and being on the water in the right zones at the right times, which is why gator-hunting is so challenging.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

silverking wrote:Tom,
I cetainly could be wrong about the WR bait. My memory ain't what it used to be and the IGFA entries don't list those details. But if it was a classic red/white Spook, that is further proof that big trout hone in on big baits.

But like other posts here, I've caught my share of nice trout on smaller lures like DOA shrimp and Capt Mike's gold spoons. Luck is another factor for catching gators, for sure. That and being on the water in the right zones at the right times, which is why gator-hunting is so challenging.
http://www.floridagameandfish.com/fishi ... L_0506_01/
The current world record of 17.7 pounds was taken on a walking plug in May on the east coast of Florida.
As I remember the guy who caught the fish ended up eating him, but got him weighed on a certified scale first.
Tom Keels
Site Founder