Scoop Sea's Oil Spill Thread

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Scoop Sea's Oil Spill Thread

Post by wevans »

What do you make of this SS? :beer:
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6593/648967
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Scoop Sea wrote:
Barhopr wrote:Scoop: I never mentioned you or the EPA in that earlier post. I understand things change daily and what is known today may not have been known yesterday. I'm not calling you out dude just warning a friend( sarcastically) to be carful with criticism.
Barhopr: I don't know what your "friend" quote means or implies, but here's the deal, if you want to read a thread that concentrates solely on the negative aspects of this response, then it may be best to open up a separate thread. However, if you want to read a thread that discusses facts about the response, while trying to highlight some of the occasional successes related to the spill, this thread is an option. You have to remember, I am discussing actions that occur in Ms, Al, and Fl., so when I post intel about the oil impact being more minimal than the press makes out, the seafood being o.k. to eat, the mad run on claims money, etc., etc. I am only talking about in Ms, Al, and Fl. If that gives the appearance of being too optimistic relative to the spill, sorry. I for one am glad that we are nearly two months into this spill and not a drop of oil has hit the shores in our neck of the woods.

Maybe I drank the kool-aid on BP paying the response costs, but I know that the Federal law says they will pay the response costs and damages, and thus far, they have paid the response costs, paid claims, and have not given any indication they will not continue to do so. I do agree that greed will get into the mix and there will be folks taking advantage of the system while others suffer. We’ve already seen folks making claims that shouldn’t be doing so. That will just drive up the whole costs of this event unfortunately.

Nothing implied in the friend comment at all. In fact it was directed toward JT51, not you, as a tounge in cheek comment. I appreciate the positive aspect of your post, really I do, but there are positive facts as well as negative facts...I just like to hear them all so I can make up my own mind about things. With two young kids in my home I never get to watch the news so I have no idea what the tv media is saying about this thing. I do have friends that live and work in the effected areas and they are the ones I rely on for my info, such as the oil( no idea how much, may be a thimble full may be a bucket full) that was on a Destin Beach yesterday or the two tanks from the DWH that washed up on a Panama city beach over the last few weeks. Thanks for all of your hard work on the present situation and I wish you nothing but good luck in the weeks and months to come.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
KYFRED

Post by KYFRED »

Wevans: This is what I was referencing.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Thanks Barhopr, I look forward to more comments and dialogues with you over the next couple of months. :thumbup: :thumbup: Please do feel free to vent, this is a trying time for all of us.

Wevans/KYFRED: I will be totally honest, I did not read that whole article "deeply", rather I skimmed over it as it was a pretty long and tough read. That being divulged, I do have the following comments: Due to the explosion, it would seem entirely "possible" that there is some subsurface fractures, etc. on the pipe that are leading to the bore hole getting wider. I personally believe that the top kill didn't work because of the holes in the line that everyone knew about, not necessarily due to holes below surface that the article indicated were there. Even if there are subsurface holes, the relief wells should be able to offset those once they are complete. I know that one of the drilling rigs is down over 10,000 feet and I believe that the other is even deeper than that. Drilling that deep "could" give credence to the theory that subsurface holes in the pipe exist. However, I believe that they are drilling that deep to ensure that they are deep enough to ensure that any future compromises of the piping will be offset by the plugs located deeper than any future holes. Personally, I have never heard of holes in the subsurface pipe, but once again, the piping/well operations are run out of La. That being said, when I am operational, I participate in meetings that I fully expect that if that information was known I would have heard about it, however, I have been gone for 12 days and haven't been in those meetings. I head back over Sunday evening (after the BBSC, “coincidence” or “just luck” ;-) ) and will be back operational Monday. In turn, if I hear anything definitive on this subject I’ll let you know.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Scoop Sea wrote: . . . the piping/well operations are run out of La.
Note to self . . . Work to place mole in Louisiana's Operations Command. ;-)
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Harmsway wrote:
Scoop Sea wrote: . . . the piping/well operations are run out of La.
Note to self . . . Work to place mole in Louisiana's Operations Command. ;-)
Come on Bro, Mole? Really, Mole, Seriously, Mole..... I feel cheap................ :smt005

I wouldn't say there is a mole at the Mobile Command Center, I'd say that ya'll have a friend in the business, that helps provide ya'll information, that allows ya'll to make more informed decisions, I'm just sayin..... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I hoped you would get a laugh about of that whole Mole thing, Scoop Sea. :smt043 You deserve one (even a cheap one). :smt045 Thanks for taking it that way. :smt047 We all know you are a good friend to all of us in the Big Bend. :smt039 Keep up the good work. :smt024 We all appreciate it. :smt023
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

ScoopSea....... :lol:
Attachments
mole.jpg
mole.jpg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Dang JT, that just ain't right..... I'm diggin them fingernails though.
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Been out of the country in Haiti for the last 10 days. That trip really put things into perspective for me. We've got problems, but dang, be glad you don't live in Haiti.

This thread is one of the best sources I have seen on what is happening with the clean up and containment response. Scoop, thanks for keeping the information coming. I am particularly interested in the PCB area because that is where I grew up and my parents still live.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Hey Good Times, welcome back and thanks for the nice words. I have been away from Mobile for about 12 days, so I am not totally up to speed. I will be back over there Sunday evening and should be back up to speed by Monday evening. Last I heard they closed the Federal waters off of PCB, but the State waters are still open. That's about all I've got on that area right now.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Its nice to read something that sounds closer to the truth than the hysterical outpourings coming from some quarters of the media.
Everyone prays there will be a satisfactory ending to this problem, with no long term ill effects on the Gulf.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

After a nice 12 day break ( I say that loosely since even though I was away, it seemed like I was working oil spill issues daily via conference calls, etc.), it's back to Mobile this afternoon for another 15 day rotation. It was sure nice to be home and spend time with my wife and daughters. I fully enjoyed fishing the BBSC again this year with my oldest daughter. I am proud to say that she ended up in 5th place in the Spanish Mackerel category :thumbup: :thumbup: . I'll see some of you folks over in Carrabelle later this morning for the awards.

When I get back in the saddle in Mobile, I'll try to keep ya'll posted at least daily and possibly more depending on my schedule, etc. Feel free to shoot your questions, comments, concerns, and I'll address them the best I can. Please remember, I do not do any work in La., only Ms, Al, and Fl.

Take Care,
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Heard there were tarballs in Panama City today...anyone heard that? Glad I'm not there right now...would prolly shed a tear or three :smt010
illinoisfisherman
Site Sponsor

Post by illinoisfisherman »

Yes, it was on Fox & CNN yesterday. From the beginning I thought Panama City would be the tipping point where it changes from anger to outrage. Always voted in the top ten beaches in the USA and often the #1 spring break beach, the violation of this beach will stir emotions beyond a boiling point. Not that they aren't or shouldn't be near that point already.