Down South Lures

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Down South Lures

Post by Reel Cowboy »

You also might to try Slayer Jigheads, they are a fellow NFGFC sponsor.

I hear VMC makes a dang nice hook.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Jumptrout51 wrote:A 3 or 4/0 hook is pressing the 1/16 threshold to start with.
Very true! I have little trouble using several jigheads that are 1/8 oz which is about as heavy as I ever use in water 5' or less. The 1/16oz sizes
usually have such a short shank they don't work well with flukes, jerk shads, etc., for me. I like the design of the shrimpaler 3 by bayoubuck
but would like it better in a straight hook design. I've actually taken some of the 1/8 size and cut off some of the lead so as to be able to insert
without tearing the bait. I'm not sure my explanaton makes much sense. :-D

Anyone ever considered the possibility of a jerk shad type plastic with two hooks like the oldest "do nothing" worm for bass?
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Well boys, I just got in a box of Down South Lures and they look great. I'm pretty stoked. Maybe I can hit the flats next Saturday.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Leave me a few in a paper bag behind the second palm tree on the right on the left side of the ramp. ;-)
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Down_South_Lures

Post by Down_South_Lures »

I went to Academy today and checked out their Flutter Hooks. The 3/0 Owner Twist on 1/16 oz head fit the bait pretty good. I would not use anything bigger than a 3/0, my bait is on the smaller side compared to Bass Assassin. Down here in Texas we do not have to fight the grass as much (Unless you fish in South Padre) so we usually just use a 1/8 oz. jighead.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Down_South_Lures wrote:
RHTFISH wrote:Sure would love to see you market a good 1/16 jighead (3/0 and 4/0) :-D

I'd preorder a few dozen for sure!
I am actually working on that right now. That is my next project. I am trying to find a good hook company that has what I am looking for. I want a 45 degree bend from shank to eye. Owner brand does not make one like that in an anticorrosion finish. (hard to believe). What hook brand do you all like the most? I was dead set on Owner, but they do not make what I like. Plus, their saltwater jig head hook that is anticorrosion does not have the cutting point, and has a 90 degree bend. What do you guys think of the 90 degree bend? Does this work OK? Look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks.

Mike
Down South Lures
When I'm not throwing an Owner, I'm throwing Gamagatsu. A good 1/16 Oz. jighead, red, with a 3/0 or 4/0 saltwater hook would be great! I'm sure the 45° bend is stronger than the 90°, but I'm not sure that it's so much stronger that it would really make a difference. Until you asked, I had never really thought about it.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

The further forward the line tie eye is on the jig head; the less it gets hung up in the grass, and the less it collects weeds around the line tie.

If I could find jig heads locally that had a fairly slim profile head, with the eye coming out straight off the nose of the jig; I would buy them in sizes 3/0 and 5/0, and in weights from 1/16 - 1/2 oz. if they had a quality hook like an Owner or a Gamakatsu.

Like this hook with a jig head molded on right behind the eye.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 0_100-10-0
I would fish these jigs with and without the spring, depending on what I wanted to do at the time.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Neat looking hook Charles, I bet that'll work just fine.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

I also like this one, but sometimes I wish the weight was up right behind the eye for a more jig-like action.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... _THUMBNAIL