Oil Spill

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CrispyFishin

Re: Oil Spill

Post by CrispyFishin »

Dubble, you are absolutely right that BP is best equipped to fix the problem. The feds would (and are) make (making) a big mess of things. But, BP has been deceptive since day one on the magnitude of the problem, starting with the volume of the spill. I am not convinced that they are only considering measures to stop the leak that would somehow preserve the site for future drilling use. That is entirely speculative, with no facts to back it up, but their deception has opened the door for all sorts of conspiracy theories.

Now, I still whole heartedly back boycotting BP gas and BP associated products. Even with a boycott they would not go under overnight. I realize that many, many people rely on BP for their livelihoods. That is a huge moral quandary when you wish to see a business go under.

Drug cartels employ tons of people, too.

I don't buy something just because I feel like I have an obligation to help someone keep a job.
Work 'em silly Gators!!
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

Dubble Trubble wrote: but there are LOTS of people in this country that depend on them for jobs.

Dubble :thumbup:
Me thinks people depend on the Gulf and beaches for jobs, especially Florida!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

CrispyFishin wrote:

Drug cartels employ tons of people, too.

HA HA! :thumbup:
Team Jolly Mon
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

I really appreciate the report Scoop Sea. I also appreciate what you and a lot of other people are doing to stem the effects of the oil.

Dubble's comment brought a thought to mind for me. If BP can't stop it, then what other organizations can? What about the Army Core of Engineers? Are they inland? If the government has to "take over" what agency or arm of the government is set up to handle something like this. I know that no one really is set up to handle it. Except for maybe Wal-Mart. I was there last night and saw this:

reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

Good Times wrote:I really appreciate the report Scoop Sea. I also appreciate what you and a lot of other people are doing to stem the effects of the oil.

Dubble's comment brought a thought to mind for me. If BP can't stop it, then what other organizations can? What about the Army Core of Engineers? Are they inland? If the government has to "take over" what agency or arm of the government is set up to handle something like this. I know that no one really is set up to handle it. Except for maybe Wal-Mart. I was there last night and saw this:

:stupid_1 Now that's funny!!!!
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

More than meets the eye at the surface: Underwater Plumes

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/exclusi ... ID=1206833
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Guys at work today were saying there are no plumes. Gonna show them this tomorrow.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I, for one, am impressed with the dexterity of the ROVs, and the skill of their operators. I think they just might pull off this current skull-cap maneuver. They and the rest of the industry that are tirelessly working with great skill and expertise deserve our praise and appreciation, not our condemnation. :smt038
Last edited by Harmsway on June 2nd, 2010, 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Good Times, that was funny, thanks for the laugh. No government agency can stand next to BP in the field of deep-water operations. It's just plain and simple, it's something they are way better versed to do than the Federal Government. I have heard some folks say "why doesn't the government take over", if they did, they would have to turn around and hire BP right back to do those operations. I think Admiral Allen said it best when asked the following question: why doesn't the government replace BP? Admiral Allen replied, replace them with what?

On the near shore operations: booming/skimming, etc. I think the federal government could hold their own, however, since BP has hired all of the contractors, etc. for this type of operation and are doing what they are supposed to do under the direction of the USCG, the taking over of this operation at this time would be a moot point.

Hold your breath tonight and let's hope we have some good news in the morning. If all goes well, we will know something more definitive in the morning about the cap.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

If you do the research,you will find the Army Corps has prevented and or denied approval to BP from trying many efforts to contain the flow.
The President says one thing and has the Army Corps do another.
Not that these options would have worked,but you have the U.S. Federal government saying one thing and doing another.
On top of that you have people wanting to condemn and blame BP.
Do you think for one minute BP wanted this to happen?
People want to boycott BP.
If anything,everyone should stand by and support BP to help overcome this crisis.
At least Admiral Allen has his intelligence intact.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Scoop Sea, thank you for your informative posts, and please...keep them coming. I too have grown far too weary of the mainstream media, that I no longer watch and will soon cancel my subscription to the Democrat. Gloom and doom gets old.
It's nice to hear what's really going on at the front line. :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

By the way, as good as my kid is with a Wii controller, I would like to offer his services to run one of those robots. He'd have this thing capped yesterday :-D
Stay Thirsty My Friends
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Its not just gloom and doom I smelled oil today in Valdosta. I know all the negative stuff must be true and all the positive stuff must be put out by commie pinko fashist bazztads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I saw some oil sheen on the withlacoochie river. Which is worse the spills damage or the damage done by folks trying to make a bigger buzz out of this thing. Not to promote another forum but Louisiana Sportsman website has a bunch of lying bazztads showing video of them catching tuna and other fish to the west out of Venice the videos must all be photoshopped they are all lying bazztaads I tell you. They lied when they said the Tuna tasted good too! Bet they tasted like gear oil.

I bet this is Bush's fault too! :stupid_1 :stupid_1 :stupid_1
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

WAM, it's all Bush's fault... and I mean ALL!!! See below as proof... :roll:
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-bake ... rge-w-bush
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
akasephiroth

Post by akasephiroth »

BP screwed up now oil is flowing everywhere so lets boycott BP!!!!

With todays economy when i go out for anything I go to the cheepest while maintating quility and if that is BP guess who gets my bussiness? I have used castrol may be a product of BP but from what i have seen personally its also one of the best oils you can buy for your car at a reasonable price. So on my next oil change guess what ill be using?

I would also like to point out something here, yes BP screwed up, the rig was owned bye Transocean you wanna boycott them too? how about the federal government who done nothing but point fingres untill they seen people where getting pissed wanna boycott them too? Lets go on a boycott rampage remember the guy that got killed at the black friday sell at wal-mart lets boycott wal-mart. Fact of the matter is, if you dont wanna buy something for your own reasons don't, but DONT TRY AND FORCE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME!!! these name calling tactics for getting people to do what they want them to are getting old. I love a good Burger King Whooper now and then but im not gonna force you to eat one why do you wanna force me to eat your Tofu burger bye calling me a pig Obesse overweight 6' 230lb man? Is this oil spill bad? yes, is calling people ignorant for buying BP gas gonna plug that hole? no. You wanna deal with the oil spill your way let others deal with it how they wish without elementry name calling.

inclosing I only have 1 question...Since the health care bill was also a disaster can i boycott Obama and the dem's and refuss to pay taxes?