Advice for new boater?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Advice for new boater?

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Typical fisherman mentality.
The wade fisherman wants to venture out.
The boater wants to venture in.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Lots of good input here. I've owned big boats, john boats, canoes, and kayaks. The reason I like my kayaks the most is their complete self reliance. The torquedo is an interesting newer concept, but is more of an accessory. I wouldn't want to end up several miles from my launch point, have the battery die, and not be in a boat suitable for a comfortable paddle back. I love my Hobie Revolution kayak. It has all the convenience and advantages of a pedal drive, but is also a really good paddle kayak as well. I can fish any type of saltwater or freshwater habitat on the Forgotten Coast in my kayak. I also have the option of dropping a Torquedo in place of my pedal drive as well.
Jason
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

GaryDroze wrote:After reading all the replies, I think I'll take a chance with the Torquedo 1003 and a Pro Strike square stern canoe (just under 12 ft, 48 lbs).
Good choice, Gary. I'm sure you will cover a lot of water with canoe, and catch a lot of fish. The dirty little secret about boating is that you can't do everything with just one boat. Here's how it goes :roll: . . . start with a canoe (and/or kayak), after a while get little jon boat, then a big jon boat, then a flats boat, then a bay boat, then a small offshore boat, then a big offshore boat, then . . ., well you get the picture. Welcome to the money pit. :smt006
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Harmsway wrote: Here's how it goes :roll: . . . start with a canoe (and/or kayak), after a while get little jon boat, then a big jon boat, then a flats boat, then a bay boat, then a small offshore boat, then a big offshore boat, then . ....
And after you get the big offshore boat, you start back in the opposite direction . :wink:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Yep. Its like JT said . . .
Jumptrout51 wrote:The wade fisherman wants to venture out. The boater wants to venture in.
:smt045
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Yep. Its like JT said . . .
Jumptrout51 wrote:
The wade fisherman wants to venture out. The boater wants to venture in.
I pick my days, but I venture out, in, and everywhere in between.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I used to wade fish from Wakulla Beach quite a bit when I lived in Tallahassee. We did OK, but we started doing better when we inherited a canoe and expanded our range a little bit. You can carry a lot in a canoe, but it is slow. Everyone graduated and moved away, and I moved back to Perry and bought a kayak to use when I couldn't find a boat to borrow. Kayak blows the canoe out of the water. It's faster, stealthier and they make so many different accesories for them now that you can customize them to suit any kind of fishing. But you're still limited as far as range goes.

So, I bought a Riverhawk B-60 (with a Honda 20 HP) about a year and a half ago. I absolutely love it. I catch more fish now, because I have the ability to easily move from spot to spot. But sometimes I still prefer the kayak when it comes to quick "after work" and "spur of the moment" trips when I don't feel like dealing with the added hassle of having to make sure my trailer lights are working, making sure the bearings are good, making sure the motor's running properly, making sure it's fueled up, making sure the battery is charged, etc....

If I could have only one, I'd probably have to go with a smaller model Riverhawk (they make a 13 foot model that is cheaper than most kayaks) with both a small gas outboard and a powerful (I'd limit it to 12volt models) transom mount trolling motor. That way, you could use the gas motor when you and a buddy want to hit the flats on a calm day, or just stick with the electric when you're up the creek or on the lake. It's plenty small enough to paddle easily, and it fits in the back of most any pickup.

Also, keep in mind that there's a significant difference in the stability of a Riverhawk, Gheenoe, Rivermaster and other "stepped hull" style boats VS. a normal flat back canoe. You can stand up and walk around freely in a Riverhawk, whereas, it's difficult to remain standing in most regular flat back canoes without getting wet.

Also, a kayak (or any other boat) with any type of motor (whether electric or gas) must be registered in FL as a boat. If you're paying for the sticker anyways, you might as well have the boat.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I sometime fish with a friend of mine who has a Riverhawk square back gheenoe. It has a 6 hp motor on it. Especially when we gig at night. We are always standing, sometimes both in the bow area. One holding the spotlight and one gigging. It is really surprising how stable this thing is. We also use it on the Aucilla a lot this time of year when we are snatching mullet. Just as stable as most small aluminum jon boats.

salute2
Semper Fi
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

CSMarine wrote:Just as stable as most small aluminum jon boats.
salute2
I contest that mine is more stable than any small jon boat I've ever fished out of. Then again, at 5 feet wide, mine is the widest "gheenoe type" boat I've ever been in. Two people can stand on the very edge in choppy water without having to worry about falling in. I can barely stand by myself in the front of my brother's 14 foot jon boat under any conditions.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb