Missing Angler

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Re: Missing Angler

Post by Fighting Conch »

My thoughts are with David Clark and his family.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sad ending to the story. My thoughts are with the family. At least David died doing something he loved. Most others don't have that option.

I have been in the habit of wearing my kill switch for years now, whether I'm alone or with clients. Never know what can happen, especially in Apalachee Bay with all the rocks.

West Marine, Sospenders and Cabelas also make self-inflating life jackets. Costco had some for sale earlier this summer for around $80, but they're out of stock now. Might be able to find them on their web site if you're a member.

Be safe out there.
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

I did not know David Clark, but really hate to hear the ending to that story. Prayers for his family.

I agree this is a solemn reminder for us all to give some thought to our use of safety equipment. Can some of those that are familiar with the inflatable life vest provide some guidance for those of us who might be considering going that route. In looking at some of the info on them., they reference buoyancy of 22lb, 35 lb., etc. What does that indicate? Also, do they make them for children? What are the considerations for auto, manual, etc.?

Certainly not trying to derail the thread on Mr. Clark, but it might be fitting if some of us take this to heart and evaluate our safety practices. If a moderator believes I have this in the wrong place, please delete or move as necessary.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

West Marine Advisor article on selecting life vests. Lots of good info here...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... on-Devices
smeseroll
Site Sponsor

Post by smeseroll »

I agree with lessburgga. I am very sorry to hear about David, and it has certainly opened my eyes to the reality that accidents do happen, and we are all guilty of not always practicing proper safety precautions.

Great info in the west marine article.

I've been looking at getting a couple of these for some time, and I think I am going with the Bass Pro brand, simply because it's the only inflatable I've found that is made in the good ol' USA.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-A ... escription

Again, very sorry for David's family.
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Here's the bman multi-purpose model.

http://www.basspro.com/Mustang-Survival ... 2/-1754642

Post by DEMON »

My condolences to the family.

As far as safety goes, it goes with out saying that we all need to periodically re-evaluate our safety practices and our equipment. Most of the time I fish with just my 12yr old in the boat with me. I've taught him to operate the VHF and run the boat should something happen to me. He has instructions to go to the nearest boat he can see and ask for help. I also started using the kill switch many years ago and have gotten use to it. Just a piece of advise on the kill switch, don't disconnect the lanyard from your belt each time, let the clip disconnect from the switch. This way you can test the switch each time you start the motor. Oh yeah, buy a spare clip, they do break!

I bought the auto inflate vests several years ago and used them with limited success. I gave up on them after awhile because they are too hot to wear continuously in the summer so you end up taking them off and then you forget to put them back on. Also, you have to keep up on the maintenance on them as they will inflate due to the humidity dissolving the pill. I got tired of replacing the gas cylinder and pill every other year to the tune of $30.00

I now use the manual belt pack one. It is comfortable enough that I forget that I'm wearing it which means I always have it on. Just my .02

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=11115
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

This story reminds me why I NEVER fish alone in a boat on saltwater. It doesn't take falling off at cruising speed for this to happen. It can easily happen when drift fishing. If the wind is blowing hard in the opposite direction of the tide and you fall in it will be real hard to swim after it. I have not been wearing my life jacket while running until last time I went and took my 5 year old daughter with me. She wears her life jacket at all times on the boat and I wore mine while the motor was running. It wasn't that hard to take it on and off and I will now do that no matter who is on the boat.

But I would highly suggest those who fish alone to rethink that practice. I have a family that loves me and relies on me and can not / will not risk my life by fishing alone. So many things can happen out there on the water.