What are we doing wrong?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

setty7

Re: What are we doing wrong?

Post by setty7 »

JIm Smith wrote:I can't help you in your part of the big bend, but in the Cedar Key south area I am having a lot of luck with bigger trout and redfish with 5 to 6 inch soft white jurk bait rigged texas style. fish around the edge of the potholes and in the grass in 2.5 to 4 feet of water very sslow. we limited out this past weekend on both trout and redfish . average size trout 18. experiment with bullet weights and no weights sometime one works better than others, this weekend no weight was the best

Sounds good will try that up here thanks!!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

You do need to set the hook on a trout, but just with a pop of the rod tip, not a big redfish or bass sweeping hard set. I like to just give them a nice little pop while keeping the line tight. I also catch a lot of pinfish on jigs with that little popping hookset-all foulhooked.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
setty7

Post by setty7 »

onefishtwofish wrote:You do need to set the hook on a trout, but just with a pop of the rod tip, not a big redfish or bass sweeping hard set. I like to just give them a nice little pop while keeping the line tight. I also catch a lot of pinfish on jigs with that little popping hookset-all foulhooked.
awesome! wat do you use to catch pinfish?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

sabiki works okay, but personally I like a bream hook on a bream buster or small rig and a split shot and a little chunk of a gulp. Unless I can find them in a wad, then I prefer a castnet!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
setty7

Post by setty7 »

onefishtwofish wrote:sabiki works okay, but personally I like a bream hook on a bream buster or small rig and a split shot and a little chunk of a gulp. Unless I can find them in a wad, then I prefer a castnet!
thanks man, gulp comes in chunks as well?
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

setty7 wrote:thanks man, gulp comes in chunks as well?
Better stick with dough balls, setty. :wink:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.