Close Airboats

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

charlie tuna

Re: Close Airboats

Post by charlie tuna »

I would NEVER run my boat "on a plane" knowing that if i came off that "plane" i was going to hit bottom!! GMAB !!! That being said, i will always idle by other boats fishing and give them as much space as i can! Thats what i expect of others and thats the way i treat other fishermen. If it's too close, i'll go to another creek.

I have had airboats go out of their way to spook the shoreline i was fishing -- happens too many times in the Aucilla River area, again they are guide operated boats who think they own the gulf...
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

CT, I know that we are condeming some good people that are airboaters, as in any thing there are those that give others a bad rep. that being said it seems that airboaters do disregard others worse than others. I fish the waccassa river in the fall and the winter and the local marina was bought several years by a airboat club. most are as considerate as they can be inspite of the noise, it only takes one to make them all look bad.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I am not "condeming" any group of people. If i had an airboat, i would distance myself even FURTHER from others and one thing for sure, i wouldn't damage the sawgrass and marshes with my boat which seems to be common practice. When i see and HEAR an airboat come out of a creek, and run 1/2 a mile out of his way to run past my boat that i am obviously casting a shoreline --it is my opinion that the guy is screwing with me.....
bman

Post by bman »

Take a pic of their boat numbers and call FWC...
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Great idea bman. I will definately do that next time. This did happen close to the Aucilla and I feel it was a guide of some sort. It seemed very intentional.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

I agree with getting # and makeing call
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Were you in a creek? Around a bend...alot of answered questions on your part, that we need to know before we start chunking rocks.

First trout I caught over 26" came 5 minutes after an airboat ran right through where I caught the fish...I look forward to seeing them run by now :-D
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

One of the main reasons I go fishing is to get away from the stress of work and everyday life. I used to be one of those guys who was on the water all the time, thought I knew best, had a set of rules of proper flats fishing behavior that I followed, and expected others to do so too. I had a number of run in's with the uneducated and unwashed and my fishing stress lever grew larger by the day. I began to dread the daily stupidity at the ramp and the inevitably of someone "messing up my spot". In short I was not having much fun.

After nearly 10 years off riding and racing motorcycles with my son, I am back now and reading this thread with a wry smile.

I used to have a fast expensive flats skiff.......now I have a slow dependable little used bay boat.

I used to run a bank to retaliate for jumping in front of a me on the flat...... Now I just shake my head at their thoughtless actions and run to another spot that will probably be even better.

I used to loose my mind and my temper at the ramp......now I just amuse myself with the free auditions for Americas funniest videos.

In short....... I am enjoying my time spent fishing VERY much........and no idiot is going to ruin my day.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Well said rockyg. And those airboats are really annoying, aren't they?
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Chalk, I was in the mouth and edge of a creek. The first time, they came in the mouth and left close by never fishing. I could see them from a long distance. The 2nd time, they were leaving a creek and had plenty of room to go a different direction. I could see them a long ways off both times. And we did catch fish right after they left, but it was irritating to say the least. I did like rockyg's post though. I did enjoy the time on the water and hadn't been in a very long time.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

charlie tuna wrote:I would NEVER run my boat "on a plane" knowing that if i came off that "plane" i was going to hit bottom!! GMAB !!! That being said, i will always idle by other boats fishing and give them as much space as i can! Thats what i expect of others and thats the way i treat other fishermen. If it's too close, i'll go to another creek.

I have had airboats go out of their way to spook the shoreline i was fishing -- happens too many times in the Aucilla River area, again they are guide operated boats who think they own the gulf...

LOL, You must not have ever fished Aucilla or Econfina.....

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
killswitch

Post by killswitch »

bman wrote:Take a pic of their boat numbers and call FWC...

X2 :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY MULE TRAIN, IF YA USE A LARGE ENOUGH BULLET THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO RETALIATE.
PA
SEMPER FI :smt006 salute2 salute2 salute3
FUTCHCAIRO
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

It's not just airboats, I've had the same disrespect from conventonal boats as well. If the success of your fishing trip hinges on that one encounter, you might need to take more beer. :smt004
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Gulf Coast wrote:It's not just airboats, I've had the same disrespect from conventonal boats as well. If the success of your fishing trip hinges on that one encounter, you might need to take more beer. :smt004
rockyg wrote:One of the main reasons I go fishing is to get away from the stress of work and everyday life. I used to be one of those guys who was on the water all the time, thought I knew best, had a set of rules of proper flats fishing behavior that I followed, and expected others to do so too. I had a number of run in's with the uneducated and unwashed and my fishing stress lever grew larger by the day. I began to dread the daily stupidity at the ramp and the inevitably of someone "messing up my spot". In short I was not having much fun.

After nearly 10 years off riding and racing motorcycles with my son, I am back now and reading this thread with a wry smile.

I used to have a fast expensive flats skiff.......now I have a slow dependable little used bay boat.

I used to run a bank to retaliate for jumping in front of a me on the flat...... Now I just shake my head at their thoughtless actions and run to another spot that will probably be even better.

I used to loose my mind and my temper at the ramp......now I just amuse myself with the free auditions for Americas funniest videos.

In short....... I am enjoying my time spent fishing VERY much........and no idiot is going to ruin my day.
Well put! My thoughts exactly. :thumbup: