nfgfc 2013 schedule

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mpa_72001

Re: nfgfc 2013 schedule

Post by mpa_72001 »

Noticed the schedule is posted just one question about the st marks tournaments. Do we have to put out at st marks for all of them or are they launch anywhere and weigh back in there?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Those listed as St. Marks are launch from most any site.
There will be boundaries on launch sites to be announced.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

What happened to the ecky tournaments?
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

Showboat - I thought you were going to do away with the slot tournaments this year?
Boom goes the dynamite.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Aman-in an effort to make things as simple as possible, we're trying to consolidate weigh in locations. Other than the St Joe and Carrabelle tournaments, Econfina will be within the parameters of eligible launch sites.

Casey-The Club remains committed to conservation, and as a result the desire is retain some slot tournaments. There is also increased sensitivity to game regs, and consequently, handing the tournamnet director an illegal fish (illegal vs inelegible for the specific tournament) will result in team disqualification for that tournament rather than disqualification of that fish. However, we also understand the desire to target large fish, and that is why there is only 4 slot tournaments.

Good questions guys. I hope to see both of you in Feb.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

SHOWBOAT wrote:Aman-in an effort to make things as simple as possible, we're trying to consolidate weigh in locations. Other than the St Joe and Carrabelle tournaments, Econfina will be within the parameters of eligible launch sites.

Casey-The Club remains committed to conservation, and as a result the desire is retain some slot tournaments. There is also increased sensitivity to game regs, and consequently, handing the tournamnet director an illegal fish (illegal vs inelegible for the specific tournament) will result in team disqualification for that tournament rather than disqualification of that fish. However, we also understand the desire to target large fish, and that is why there is only 4 slot tournaments.

Good questions guys. I hope to see both of you in Feb.
I've been in your shoes as tournament director and know how tough it is to make everyone happy. That being said, if the club is truly about conservation, why not have the slot tournaments at the time of year when it's easiest to catch the overslot fish (Feb - May, Nov)? All the big fish are up shallow spawning and are much easier to target and catch. Most have moved off the hill by June because of the water temps and when you look at past tourney results, the big trout disappear during the Summer months. The conservation argument just doesn't seem realistic unless you have the slot tourneys when the bigguns are caught.

I'm a fan of keeping the format the same, one way or the other, for the entire year. I don't think a 15 boat tournament puts a dent in the big trout population, especially considering that not everyone brings in an over 20" fish. In fact, most don't. I know a few people that I've talked to are disappointed by this decision, but you'll see us at the non-slot tourneys. Tight lines.

Casey
Boom goes the dynamite.
MuleTrainGA

Post by MuleTrainGA »

I'll be looking forward to heading down from UGA to fish a couple. I think its not just the fact that were not keeping the big fish but it also sets an example of sportsmanship around the big bend in light that maybe a few folks will turn the highly fecund females back in the water. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Trevor Moncrief
Fisheries Biology Class of 2014
Warnell School of Natural Resources, UGA
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Brian can u give us a lil info on the first tournament such as launch site or boundaries and weigh in location
I am trying to decide to take off for work for this i like the format on this one.
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

Do any of you think that keeping slot tournaments help to bring in new members or keep members that don't always do as well? I would think that if they all were not slot tournaments that some people would be scared off because they can't find em like some. Slot tournaments give everyone a better shot at winning, which means more boats and more money to win. Just a thought but maybe we still have side pot for big trout to be overslot...