what am i up against: Update

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelbad

Re: what am i up against

Post by reelbad »

robbankston wrote:My 2 cents.

He bought a used trolling motor from someone he didn't know and chose not to test it. Whether it was working or not that's on him. Besides how hard is it to chop off a plug and touch the bare wires to battery terminals? :smt017

Unfortunately anybody can sue anybody for pretty much anything they want. I definitely wouldn't give any money up until I was made to by a judge.
I'am with you on that. The deal is over and done. Two months is to long to wait and see if something works. I would be very surprised if it even goes to court. Besides, who knows if he hooked the motor up wrong and fried it or just changed his mind because he found another deal.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

yeah, there's no telling what happened to it. but it's not broken unless he fried it
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Caveat emptor.

Hind sight is 20/20 but for anybody else selling a trolling motor who wishes to avoid a similar situation, before you take the trolling motor off of your boat to sell, shoot a quick video of it operating and narrate it. Most of us have video cameras in our phones...this seems like a good use.

"Today is June 17, 2013 - I'm shooting this video as evidence of a functioning trolling motor before selling it. Here the motor is in operation - here it is in reverse, The motor is fully functional."

Take something like that to court and counter-sue for court costs and wasted time.
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

document the offer to take it to a repair center. If he won't then show the judge where you offered to try and meet a middle ground and that you believe the motor was working. I don't think the judge will be happy to hear about the alledged grievence when you've already offered releif he won't accept.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

It is with great interest I'm watching this post.

I actually gave a VERY trusted... correction, very well KNOWN board member... my trolling motor with the good faith condition he pay me AFTER he hooked it up and verified it was running.

Months later he still hasn't hooked it up, at least that's what I'm being told. :wink: Hate to go the court route with this WELL KNOWN board member so hopefully he'll read this and MAN-UP! :-D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
big bend gyrene wrote:It is with great interest I'm watching this post.

I actually gave a VERY trusted... correction, very well KNOWN board member... my trolling motor with the good faith condition he pay me AFTER he hooked it up and verified it was running.

Months later he still hasn't hooked it up, at least that's what I'm being told. :wink: Hate to go the court route with this WELL KNOWN board member so hopefully he'll read this and MAN-UP! :-D
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I haven't offered to drive down and let him plug the trolling motor up to my boat (which it worked on before I sold it) simply because its two hours away and a F250 towing a 22 ft boat isn't going to be a cheap bill to prove that the trolling motor works. I have suggested that maybe the wiring is messed up because he did just redo the connection and plugs for the trolling motor and all that new work to his boat. I suggested checking the head of the motor to make sure nothing came free up there. on another forum where he has updated his new boat, there was a time where he went fishing with it around mid may, now I’m not sure if he used the trolling motor then or not but in most of his photo's, the trolling motor shows to be plugged in. he posted a link on here that takes you to a forum where he has 30 plus pages of the boat in different stages. I’m hoping over the weekend he's calmed down a little bit and will be willing to work something out and choose a different route. Instead of wasting both of ours time.....

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 04#p314004

Page 27 shows the motor hooked up and the GPS is on, so I’m assuming the boat had power at that time. And in order for that TM to be plugged up he had to switch out the plugs because the plugs didn't match when I sold it to him. :smt012
Last edited by dombern34 on June 17th, 2013, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I was following the pictures down looking for the trolling motor installed??? , But when i saw the picture where he installed "particle board" in the bow ---- I STOPPED !!! This tells me what you are up against !!!
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

in defense of R and k he had a very severe fall several years ago and had some real problems. He now works out of his home and is confined to his wheelchair, but he seems to much sharper than he was a couple of years ago. He is the one who redesigned the talon so that the spike would not fall out
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

charlie tuna wrote:I was following the pictures down looking for the trolling motor installed??? , But when i saw the picture where he installed "particle board" in the bow ---- I STOPPED !!! This tells me what you are up against !!!
i couldnt get the link to work...whats the full URL?
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

big bend gyrene wrote:Months later he still hasn't hooked it up.
Well, how big a boy is he?

Fishin' is the mission.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I went on •Go to www.­tinboats.­net/­forum/ -- then clicked on "25 posts"
bbb

Post by bbb »

Buying a used item without a warranty is just that. The fact that he hasn't taken it to a trolling motor shop to find out "what's wrong" is strange. It could be a loose wire. It could be that he reversed the wires and fried the motor. Either way a $20 inspection fee should clear this up.

Hard to believe he mounted the trolling motor and plugged it in, mid May, and in June he's contacting you about an issue.

That's the good and bad of buying used. It would be a great deal, or it could crap out tomorrow. It's tough luch when its #2.

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... f2f7894ff9

Quote from this site.
"Next up, electrical. My favorite thing - NOT

With that said, looking for suggestions and help. When it comes to electrical, I'm just straight up dumb as dirt "
Last edited by bbb on June 17th, 2013, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

too long for issue to be yours, problemo is his.

or

offer full refund and sell on ebay for more $
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

i mean i know the trolling motor was working great. the only reason i sold it was because i wanted the new i pilot and there wasn't any sense in having two. he was looking for a trolling motor and being a BBF member i figured I'd give him a pretty good deal on it. if i was going to sell someone a mad motor i would've have drove two hours and delivered it with intentions of him hooking it up to look like an idiot. and I'm thinking with him having to switch out the plugs something was backwards.