Submerged car at St Marks?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Submerged car at St Marks?

Post by Salty Gator »

RHTFISH wrote:Methinks adult beverages were probably involved! :o
Why is it we get one of these every time there is a boating accident?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

APheroes1 wrote:Thankfully the family had went to the restrooms so there were no kids in the car, but the vehicle was in park and had been for a couple minutes because he was in the boat raising the trim on the motor when it started rolling backwards into the water. No reverse lights were on or anything. He's still not clear what happended. Could've been disasterous if the children were in the car. ALWAYS use the parking brake and ALWAYS never load until off the ramp.
Just my guess, but that Ford doesn't look like 4 wheel drive and apparently no parking brake set. It also appears the boat is still attached to the trailer. When the boat floats pressure can be taken off the back tires; not good for a 2 wheel drive vehicle sitting on a decline. Glad nobody was hurt.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

SHOWBOAT wrote:
APheroes1 wrote:Thankfully the family had went to the restrooms so there were no kids in the car, but the vehicle was in park and had been for a couple minutes because he was in the boat raising the trim on the motor when it started rolling backwards into the water. No reverse lights were on or anything. He's still not clear what happended. Could've been disasterous if the children were in the car. ALWAYS use the parking brake and ALWAYS never load until off the ramp.
Just my guess, but that Ford doesn't look like 4 wheel drive and apparently no parking brake set. It also appears the boat is still attached to the trailer. When the boat floats pressure can be taken off the back tires; not good for a 2 wheel drive vehicle sitting on a decline. Glad nobody was hurt.

I was thinking same thing when I read "trimming motor up". Apparently, the front of boat was still tied down, and he backed it in a little too deep. When he lifted the motor up, it was just enough weight transfer to lift up on the tounge and let the back tires slide. The further it slid, the more the boat picked up the rear of the vehicle. In that case, even the parking brake would not have helped, since it does not lock the front tires....

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I had a guy back his boat down on the ramp next to me one morning before it was light. He was driving a Chevy Wagon. He pu it in park, got out and started pushing the bow up and down, trying to launch his boat. All of a sudden i heard a sharp "snap" and the car started down the ramp and knocked him down(between the boat and the car) and run over him. They trailer jack knifed and hit the last piling stopping the car. We thought the guy was trapped under the car but after about thirty seconds he came out from the front of the wagon!! The boat was still secured to the trailer and the plug wasn't in -- this guy was in a BIG hurry !!! Boat sunk on the trailer and covered his I/O engine. He was lucky to be alive !!
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Is it me or what, but seeing Charlie Tuna's 2 posts on this particular subject makes me want to run away if I know he's in the vicinity while launching my boat, just sayin.... :-D

That being said, I did see a nice F-250 a few years ago submerged over in Apalach, the only things showing were the cab lights and a UF antennae helmet (insert joke here if desired). Totally felt sorry for the folks.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I've always used my E-brake and a chock under the front wheel while on the ramp. Always wondered if I was over doing it since no one else seems to do this. After hearing these and other stories, I think I'll keep over doing it!