Bimini Tops???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

redcodefsu

Re: Bimini Tops???

Post by redcodefsu »

Pirate wrote:I know one big knock on Bimini tops are the fact that they are really in the way for fishing. A lot of die hard boaters in the keys mounted their Biminis in the front, where less fishing goes on. I have even seen them mounted in the front along with T-Tops. That way the hot folks go to the shady front, out of the way!
Good suggestions. I have a bimini on my 17' Key West but hardly ever put it on unless I'm taking out the ladies. It's awful to fish with when up or down. Luckily it's easy to put on or take off.
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Pirate wrote:I know one big knock on Bimini tops are the fact that they are really in the way for fishing. A lot of die hard boaters in the keys mounted their Biminis in the front, where less fishing goes on. I have even seen them mounted in the front along with T-Tops. That way the hot folks go to the shady front, out of the way!
For inshore fishing most people fish from the front. Fishing from the back is more of an anchored up nearshore or offshore day. The great thing about a 22' pathfinder is that you can do all three pretty well in one boat. A Bimini will make at least one of those scenerios less fishable. Save the money and buy a used t top ( I may look at selling mine down the road). Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

One other less expensive option is what I did. I bought an Anchorshade, then installed the pole in my console. When I need it, easy to put up, yet on cool, cloudy days, I have nothing in the way of casting. I also use it trolling, as it has some straps with it. Of course, under full speed, it comes down....

Gives me a 6 ft x 6 foot shade. Mine does not, but the newer Anchorshades have a UV blocker in them.

Dubble :thumbup:

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

All good points throughout this post. I have a bimini on my current 19' bay boat. I had a t-top on a 26' cc that I just sold this summer. I really like the t-top as it does a much better job of getting rods out of the way when not in use and the t-top does not get in the way when fishing. With my bimini, the longer rods will not even go in the rod holders on the side of the console when the bimini is up. However, all of that being said, the bimini and the t-top really serve two completely different purposes. You will not get near the shade with a t-top that you will a bimini. Getting under the bimini is a welcome relief on these hot days -- it is amazing the difference in temperature under the bimini. At the same time, you will give up some fishability. I put the bimini on my boat when my kids were 7 and 9 and have not regretted (they are 14 and 16 now).

Good luck with your decision.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Salty Gator, Yes, someone usually fishes out of the front, but not only the front. We flats fish out of every side of our boat. A bimini in the middle interferes with both ends, thus making fishing hard on everybody. Obviously he isn't planning on the passengers under the bimini to be fishing, only coming along more often. If the budget allows a bimini then that's what it allows. I have a T-Top on my offshore boat and wouldn't trade it for anything but personally I would not want a T-Top on my bay boat. There's always a trade off somewhere and I think he is looking for an lower price option that will allow everybody to be more comfortable. Who knows, he may not want a t-top on his boat, just his family.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

redcodefsu wrote:Good suggestions. I have a bimini on my 17' Key West but hardly ever put it on unless I'm taking out the ladies. It's awful to fish with when up or down. Luckily it's easy to put on or take off.
Kinda what I was thinking. The bimini is easily removable, and they are not too in the way when folded down, depending on your boat's layout. Don't let the nay-sayers discourage you. Obviously a bimini is not as nice/convenient as a T-top, but you gotta get what's in your budget.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb