CCA Florida STAR Tournament Update, 6/30

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tallykenj
Site Sponsor

CCA Florida STAR Tournament Update, 6/30

Post by tallykenj »

It could happen. C'mon fisherman, there is still time for someone from our area to get this boat. We have ragged fish in the area. Although I'm going to try this weekend, my money is on Gary Droze (of course, I have money on me, too).
The Back Porch
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Re: CCA Florida STAR Tournament Update, 6/30

Post by GaryDroze »

Registered another trout entry today (37 total), but I have no false hopes about hooking a tagged redfish, even though I was lucky enough to land 6 slot reds today in Deep Creek (end of outgoing tide). The tidal creeks I fish are really far away from where I assume they release the tagged ones. Will spend the weekend trying to snag another sheepshead or two. Thanks to all who gave advice - especially Steve Stinson - on catching them. I was totally clueless about landing sheepies 3 months ago!
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Coach! you can't be further away than Freeport, and that was in a cast net!, must have been some cast, and a really long line! - from the website -

WE HAD STAR TAGGED REDFISH #23 CAUGHT TODAY...in a castnet. Paul Davidson and his son were wading the flats and throwing the castnet for mullet in Freeport, FL. A Redfish with a boat on its back was mixed in with the school of mullet. The 22 inch fish with tag #723 was pulled in in the net, but safely released to be caught again. Now, in order to be eligible the fish would have to be caught on hook, line and reel but neither of them were registered or CCA members.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

It's actually legal under FWC rules (not tourney rules, I guess) to take reds in a cast net...but REALLY challenging. I almost netted some tailing reds in the flats near Wakulla beach a few years back, but they blasted out before I could draw the net closed, every time!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

We caught 15 reds today and despite our wishin' and careful inspection there was nary a tag among 'em. My partner did record a just legal trout and mine was 14 7/8 inches. So big goose egg, tournament-wise, for yours truly because there's no way I'm going on the water this weekend. :o

Gary, we managed a couple in some of your stompin' grounds.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Nice to hear they are biting. That's the first step.
The Back Porch
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I skipped the NFGFC tourney today to look for more trout/sheepshead entries in the CCA tourney. Deep Creek gave up a few nice trout to 22 inches, but I could not find another sheepie. DANG! So far: 54 registered entries. If I don't win something, my wife owns me for the next coupla months. Two days to go!
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Torurney results are out. With 54 registered catches, I won nothing. Shucks. On the bright side, I had fresh fish for my high school runners all summer, and learned how to catch sheepshead. Thanks, Steven S!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Where did you find results, Gary, on the app or the web site? Looked at the site and couldn't find them. I've already deleted the app.

Thought for sure you would win something for all your hard fishing. At least you had that many opportunities to get on/in the water.

Good first year event and a lot of learning all the way around. Especially for those unregistered anglers who caught tagged reds, like the guy in Lanark who "slowly ate that $45K red." :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Dave, I did not see results, but on their facebook page, the CCA tourney staff were telling inquirers that all winners would be notified by Sunday. I wasn't notified.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Roger. I don't do FB. Just curious as to whether any Big Bend anglers won.

If nothing else, you earned the IronMan award in our local judging!
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Just as a post script, I made the suggestion that they not close entries at exactly the time the tournament ends. No big deal, but I fished til 3:30 that day (die hard), and also had entries from earlier in the weekend that we never had a chance to enter.

Not that I think a couple more entries would matter, but you never know. We have not seen results despite looking either.

But it was great fun, can't wait til next year. Luc read they'll use a different color tag next year. Why not just include this year's elusive fish?
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Dave, as you might guess - since I don't even have a cell phone - I don't do facebook either. However, you can access the CCA FL facebook front page from the internet. Can't interact, but it does show communication. The latest post from CCA FL says that all winners will be announced September 21. You can assume if you weren't contacted by now that you did not win a division. But that still leaves hope for the lesser prizes...
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Winners are posted on the CCA STAR FL facebook homepage. I missed out on the big prizes, but won a Shimano Saros 4000 and Teramar rod/reel combo that looks to be worth about $270, based on Dick's/Cabelas/Bass Pro sites. I'd let the combo go for $100 less than that if anybody wants it (pricey tackle is wasted on me).

Congrats to the big (student) winners from Tallahassee...

Cameron Fink: $25,000 college scholarship
Taylor McNamara: $5,000 college scholarship

All other posted winners were from other FL regions, mostly central & south.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Wow..........great scholarships for those 2 local kids. :thumbup:

I did not win anything with my pitiful 3 trout entries. I did check a LOT of Redfish for tags this summer and the tournament added a bit of a thrill as I stared into the water to see if this red was the big winner. I really like the photo and release aspect of this tournament. I will enter again next year.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton