St Marks 6-11-16 fishing report. . . Sort of

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Re: St Marks 6-11-16 fishing report. . . Sort of

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

The damage. Image. And rot. Image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

The salt has definitely taken its toll.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:The salt has definitely taken its toll.
It lasted ten years which is longer than I expected. New one on the way.

bman

Post by bman »

WOW- your lucky it went out where you were!
reminded me to wash down my trailer!!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I gotta ask: Didn't you see this coming? Some really bad rust and corrosion in those photos. You may have gotten another season or two with a little extra maintenance. Salt never lets up.

Thoroughly rinse my trailer with fresh water after every trip, including axles, back side of hubs, cross members, etc. even when launching at places like Shields in fresh water. Annual inspection of entire trailer and periodic checks throughout the year. I also carry a complete spare hub assembly and tire.

Glad you'll be back on the water soon, but this is a good example of an ounce of prevention...
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Looks terrible. Glad no one was hurt. I had a bad trailer accident a few years back that probably should have killed someone. I now spend more time washing my (new) trailer than I do washing the boat.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

silverking wrote:Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I gotta ask: Didn't you see this coming? Some really bad rust and corrosion in those photos. You may have gotten another season or two with a little extra maintenance. Salt never lets up.

Thoroughly rinse my trailer with fresh water after every trip, including axles, back side of hubs, cross members, etc. even when launching at places like Shields in fresh water. Annual inspection of entire trailer and periodic checks throughout the year. I also carry a complete spare hub assembly and tire.

Glad you'll be back on the water soon, but this is a good example of an ounce of prevention...
. I had already priced an axel and should have already done it. Thought it would go one more season. Wrong.

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Glad no one was hurt. :thumbup: I've had my share of mishaps in my early boating years and now, like Salty Gator, I'm very meticulous about washing the trailer. Of course, I'm also very meticulous about washing the boat and my tackle too. A couple of my fishing buddies would call it obsessive. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Hope the new trailer is here soon, HnM. Before you load the boat on it, you might want to try a corrosion-prevention spray.

Meguiar's has a new one called Trailer Corrosion Protectant #770. They sent me some to test and I just used the whole can coating my trailer. It's 17 feet, so you'd probably need 2 cans for yours. Dries clear and forms a protective barrier. We'll see how long it lasts and how well it works. Certainly should slow the salt down, though. A 14-ounce can sells for $19.99. http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product/t ... protectant
p218352b.jpg
p218352b.jpg (25.94 KiB) Viewed 3492 times
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

That looks good. But I already bought 3 cans of the CRC super heavy duty corrosion block. That I'm going to coat the whole axel/springs and bolts with. That would be good to get for the rest of it.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

After waiting a month I cancelled the trailer on order. Decided to just buy a new aluminum one. Anyone recommended a dealer that would have one in stock?

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Try Coastal Trailer in Medart. Dan or Rex.
850-984-0728
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

i'll make you a great deal on mine Hit, mine should be here tomorrow and I've got to get rid of this thing! it's in great shape!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

dombern34 wrote:i'll make you a great deal on mine Hit, mine should be here tomorrow and I've got to get rid of this thing! it's in great shape!
. You ever measure from bowstop to back of bunk?

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Dom I pm'd tou