KAYAKING BAITS OUT FROM SURF...NEED HELP

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelsorry2
Site Sponsor

Re: KAYAKING BAITS OUT FROM SURF...NEED HELP

Post by reelsorry2 »

stop by we will see how erroneus it will be.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

reelsorry2 wrote:stop by we will see how erroneus it will be.
If you think fishing for sharks off the beach with cut bait attracts more sharks than fishing for redfish or any other fish with cut bait would, by all means explain your argument and back up your reasoning. Sending a thinly veiled threat of violence to anyone who disagrees with you not only strengthens their position, but it makes you look childish. We're all better than that here.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Someone has been watching to many JAWS movies. :-D
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Okey dokey. Intelligent disagreement not an option for you. You have no clue what you are talking about, but I can tell that is terminal. Threatening people on the internet? Good stuff.

Edit: Just wanted to be straight up and let you know I reported your post. Grow up.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
reelsorry2
Site Sponsor

Post by reelsorry2 »

In Discovery magazine 4/11/12..."Fishing boats and anglers from shore can attract sharks looking for an easy seafood meal...". In SurfScience.com "fishermen throw bait into the water which often times can attract sharks..." Also, look in USA Today 8/28/14 for the resolution adopted by the Melbourne Beach Town Commission to ban shark fishing within 300 yards of the beach. When you are just there for the day shore fishing, you don't see the results of the kayak baiting, but when you are there day after day you see the patterns.
I'm reel sorry to come across as threatening. Just want to make sure that the beach and waters can be enjoyed. I care alot about the place. You're still welcome to stop by for a cold beverage.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Well that is an intelligent reply.

From what I just read, surfers are the most likely to be attacked. Next are people wading or swimming from shore.

I agree people fishing COULD attract sharks. I am just not convinced that someone tossing out a chunk of meat is more likely to attract sharks than someone catching shark prey species. We get run off a particular redfish spot every year when the bull sharks show up and start eating the reds. We are using live mullet. Sometimes it takes them a while to find us, sometimes it takes them only a few reds and we move on (don't like feeding reds to sharks).

Throwing lots of bait or chumming would definitely be a risk factor.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

On a side note, I have seen people say not to clean scallops near the scalloping grounds as it can attract sharks (I don't do that anyways, it is annoying to dive for empty shells).

Has anyone actually seen sharks show up when cleaning scallops? I have seen them show up when cleaning fish, but never scallops. I have cleaned a lot of scallops over the years, but lots more fish.
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

I certainly didnt mean to get anyone fired up over this. I read the articles posted and they make some good points. I was however thinking that we were talking about a couple baits paddled out and dropped. This is what we have always done, not buckets of blood and guts dumped in a swimming area. I agree if you get the resident sharks into a frenzy than it might be dangerous for swimmers.
DOC23

Post by DOC23 »

I totally agree with alot of wat u all have said....the area I fish is primarily fishing area only cause no one looking for some pretty water will even wade out in the dark soup that I shark fish in....I don't even like wading out past waist deep here..too many stingrays and Bull Sharks....you can't even see your own feet in a foot of water!
wacissaguy

Post by wacissaguy »

If you could see from the air,you would never go swim near the beach again.Sharks are always present and searching for food.The trenches caused by tidal, and wave action serve as funnels for their hunting.Having surfed for 12 years when I was younger, and diving for most of my life-I'm now 62,I can tell you sharks are always present-fishing for them does not cause more of them-they are already there.