Gps recommendations

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Gps recommendations

Post by Salty Gator »

Redbelly wrote:
EddieJoe wrote:
Redbelly wrote:I just installed the Garmin Stryker7. I got it from the GPS Store.com online at a very good price.

It is very user friendly. No chip card ability, but if you need navionics put it on your phone or an ipad. It has Chirp, DV, SV,
gps.
Yes. It's important to note that the Striker series is MOL a multifunction fish finder with a minimal GPS capability. You don't have a full function chart plotter and you can't add it via chip. You get coordinates for your position and a track map, that's all.

Might be perfect for some folks, though, since the fish finder as sold, with a transducer, does all the tricks for a low price.

Just FWIW, the phone and iPad GPS chart plotter functions only work where there is cell service, and neither of those devices are happy with salt spray.

EJ
I have found cell service in all the inshore waters I fish locally. Put the Ipad in a clear plastic cover of some sort to protect it. :D
If I fished a traveling tournament trail, then I could see the need for a chartplotter and map chips.
Why would you buy a new unit then have to use an I pad? It's really hard to see a phone or I pad when it's very bright. Way more power going to a mounted unit. And you have to remember it and make sure
It's charged and doesn't get wet. Why not just get a good gps unit?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Redbelly wrote:
EddieJoe wrote:
Redbelly wrote:I just installed the Garmin Stryker7. I got it from the GPS Store.com online at a very good price.

It is very user friendly. No chip card ability, but if you need navionics put it on your phone or an ipad. It has Chirp, DV, SV,
gps.
Yes. It's important to note that the Striker series is MOL a multifunction fish finder with a minimal GPS capability. You don't have a full function chart plotter and you can't add it via chip. You get coordinates for your position and a track map, that's all.

Might be perfect for some folks, though, since the fish finder as sold, with a transducer, does all the tricks for a low price.

Just FWIW, the phone and iPad GPS chart plotter functions only work where there is cell service, and neither of those devices are happy with salt spray.

EJ
I have found cell service in all the inshore waters I fish locally. Put the Ipad in a clear plastic cover of some sort to protect it. :D
If I fished a traveling tournament trail, then I could see the need for a chartplotter and map chips.
It's good to have choices and to know what is necessary for your fishing style. The bread crumb track line would do on that unit to get back even if the fog rolled in but for me I want a full chart plotter that shows depth contours, creek mouths, rock piles, and the shorelines no matter how far I am offshore. I don't trust cellular service for that or as a substitute for vhf.

But if I fished strictly inshore close I might.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Make sure that the unit you buy is compatability with the chart technology you want to use, remeber, most of the charts that come with the units are junk and you will want to upgrade.