kastking

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Re: kastking

Post by JIm Smith »

always been a shimano fan in the past. Some of my guide friends have started using the and I thought that I would give it a try. let you know
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Salty Gator wrote:...do your pflugers last that long?...blah, blah, blah...
It's P-f-l-u-e-g-e-r.
I don't have any Pflueger reels. I've never owned or fished with a Pflueger reel.
But I do have a friend who uses Pflueger Presidents for inshore saltwater fishing and he swears by them.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

You two are something else... :lol: :lol: :lol:

No reason to keep your FS forum drama going on here... why don't y'all just mute each other under the "Add Foe" function under the CP controls?

Otherwise, i expect both of yous at the first NFGFC meeting - I'll buy both us a round of beers, 5 raffle tickets each, and the whoever wins the biggest raffle prize wins. :beer: :beer: :beer:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

galantnole wrote:You two are something else... :lol: :lol: :lol:

No reason to keep your FS forum drama going on here... why don't y'all just mute each other under the "Add Foe" function under the CP controls?

Otherwise, i expect both of yous at the first NFGFC meeting - I'll buy both us a round of beers, 5 raffle tickets each, and the whoever wins the biggest raffle prize wins. :beer: :beer: :beer:

That is a very nice offer gn. Really cool of you. I didn't know there was a friend foe/ ignore feature here. I'm on it :beer:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

I didn t mean to start a fight I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about Kast King.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

2Salty wrote:I'm good with "cow hunter", Jim :)
This spinning reel from KASTKING is a "beast":

KASTKING Kodiak Saltwater Spinning Reel
http://www.eposeidon.com/kk-kodiak-reel

Nearly 40 lbs of drag starting with 2000 series size at 10 oz.+ :
[compare to Penn Battle II 3000 5+1 bearings 15lbs max drag 12.3 oz $110]
Kind of a humorous comparison. Are you planning to put (1) 40#s of drag, (2) the drag of a properly used rod and (3) the resistance of the water on your line against a 2000 series frame and its wire bail? Not that really matters if it is only rated for 17# line; might as well tie the line around a dowel rod and let it break when the fish makes a run. Sometimes the marketing language makes folks forget what they were shopping for.

Not saying this isn't a decent reel, but absolutely sure I wouldn't pick a 2000 series reel b/c it has 40#s of drag...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

2Salty wrote:
It's P-f-l-u-e-g-e-r.
I don't have any Pflueger reels. I've never owned or fished with a Pflueger reel.
But I do have a friend who uses Pflueger Presidents for inshore saltwater fishing and he swears by them.
If I hadn't fished with them, don't think I would have thrown reference to them in the fray.

I HAVE fished with them. Thought the initial action on them was decent enough, caught fish with them, and even praised them as decent to friends. Then after a year or so, and the purchase of several more, found the handle on each and every one to become badly corroded, and I'm not talking a portion of the handle but the entire handle and that's with freshwater rinses after each and every trip out. Quit buying them and looked for better quality at the point. Don't hate them, but nor would I recommend them as a good salt-worthy reel.

By the way, name "2Salty" seems to be fitting in the relatively short time you've been on the board. With the caveat in advance that I haven't read it (much as you hadn't used President reels), might be worth a read?
Low Salt Diet.jpg
Low Salt Diet.jpg (56.33 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I hate computers!! I had a nice long review typed up on my first impression of Kastking and then must have hit the wrong button and deleted it. :smt011
This one will be shorter.. I don't intent to start any arguments or debates on which brands are better or last longer and I'm certainly not knocking any of them...The Kastking Sharky II spinner I ordered arrived this afternoon. I stuck it on a $59. Walmart Abu Garcia 7' rod, spooled it with 8 lb. Cajun and put a 1/4 oz lure on the line. Before I go on..let me state I'm a huge Shimano fan but will try anything at least once. The Sharky II is the same size as my Shimano 2500s. It actually casts further than my Stradics rigged the same way (but with much better rods) and it's as smooth as any of the reels in my inventory. It may not last a week or it may last a lifetime.. I don't know but on my initial impression, I'm impressed and will be giving it a work out in the salt next Monday. I honestly believe these reels will become popular when the word gets out. You may want to consider ordering one and forming your own opinion. Heck, we spend more than the $38. this reel costs on bait and lures we'll never use. (at least I do). I don't plan to give up my Stradics just yet but I'm going to order another one.
Again, just my first impression. :thumbup:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

That sounds like a solid review, thanks Juan. Keep us posted :beer:
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

SHOWBOAT wrote:
2Salty wrote:I'm good with "cow hunter", Jim :)
This spinning reel from KASTKING is a "beast":

KASTKING Kodiak Saltwater Spinning Reel
http://www.eposeidon.com/kk-kodiak-reel

Nearly 40 lbs of drag starting with 2000 series size at 10 oz.+ :
[compare to Penn Battle II 3000 5+1 bearings 15lbs max drag 12.3 oz $110]
Kind of a humorous comparison. Are you planning to put (1) 40#s of drag, (2) the drag of a properly used rod and (3) the resistance of the water on your line against a 2000 series frame and its wire bail? Not that really matters if it is only rated for 17# line; might as well tie the line around a dowel rod and let it break when the fish makes a run. Sometimes the marketing language makes folks forget what they were shopping for.

Not saying this isn't a decent reel, but absolutely sure I wouldn't pick a 2000 series reel b/c it has 40#s of drag...
I've fished the Penn Battle II and the KastKing Kodiak. Fished both of them "hard", same conditions, outings, pre and post maintenance. IMO the Kastking Kodiak is superior to the Penn Battle II in all respects - and for significantly less money.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

big bend gyrene wrote:
2Salty wrote:
It's P-f-l-u-e-g-e-r.
If I hadn't fished with them, don't think I would have thrown reference to them in the fray.

I HAVE fished with them. Thought the initial action on them was decent enough, caught fish with them, and even praised them as decent to friends. Then after a year or so, and the purchase of several more, found the handle on each and every one to become badly corroded, and I'm not talking a portion of the handle but the entire handle and that's with freshwater rinses after each and every trip out. Quit buying them and looked for better quality at the point. Don't hate them, but nor would I recommend them as a good salt-worthy reel.

By the way, name "2Salty" seems to be fitting in the relatively short time you've been on the board. With the caveat in advance that I haven't read it (much as you hadn't used President reels), might be worth a read?
Low Salt Diet.jpg

i can second this, when i first discovered saltwater many moons ago i just used whatever i've been fishing ponds with. mid grade rods and all Pfluegers. didn't last two trips and the "paint" was peeling off. had those reels for years before then and you couldn't give me anything else for free. some reels just aren't made for saltwater. 13 fishing and Shimano all the way.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

big bend gyrene wrote:
2Salty wrote:
It's P-f-l-u-e-g-e-r.

Low Salt Diet.jpg
I didn't reference Pflueger reels, someone else did. Call Pflueger Customer Service: they'll be the first to tell you that their President reel is NOT "saltwater" rated.
P.S. "Freshwater rinses" for reels exposed to the saltwater environment are inadequate.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Juan wrote:I hate computers!! I had a nice long review typed up on my first impression of Kastking and then must have hit the wrong button and deleted it. :smt011
This one will be shorter.. I don't intent to start any arguments or debates on which brands are better or last longer and I'm certainly not knocking any of them...The Kastking Sharky II spinner I ordered arrived this afternoon. I stuck it on a $59. Walmart Abu Garcia 7' rod, spooled it with 8 lb. Cajun and put a 1/4 oz lure on the line. Before I go on..let me state I'm a huge Shimano fan but will try anything at least once. The Sharky II is the same size as my Shimano 2500s. It actually casts further than my Stradics rigged the same way (but with much better rods) and it's as smooth as any of the reels in my inventory. It may not last a week or it may last a lifetime.. I don't know but on my initial impression, I'm impressed and will be giving it a work out in the salt next Monday. I honestly believe these reels will become popular when the word gets out. You may want to consider ordering one and forming your own opinion. Heck, we spend more than the $38. this reel costs on bait and lures we'll never use. (at least I do). I don't plan to give up my Stradics just yet but I'm going to order another one.
Again, just my first impression. :thumbup:
Shimano (and other brand) reels have been over-priced and over-rated for too long! Long live the King! KASTKING!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

2Salty wrote:Shimano (and other brand) reels have been over-priced and over-rated for too long! Long live the King! KASTKING!
And when the king is dead after a very short reign (like the Penn Prions), then you can take the money you saved and treat yourself by purchasing a Shimano. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Isn't this your advice from last month? Re best reel under $120

["2Salty"]
bbb wrote:Christmas gift for somebody.

Looks like my go to Stradic's are out of this price range.

This would be for trout and reds.
#1 Penn Battle II
#2 Okuma RTX (or BTX if you can find them)
#3 Pflueger President/President XT[/quote]

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =1&t=40420