Good Tide?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Re: Good Tide?

Post by BloodyChamp »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:
BloodyChamp wrote:I'm thinking about heading out there tomorrow to go see the infamous Pinhook entrance for the first time ever in person. Is it safe in a Gheenoe? I'll turn my happy self around at the first sign of trouble with my pride intact.

I know the Aucilla from top to...almost the bottom lol! Anything below the final ramp is out of my league since I'm not a big time flats fisherman. I've walked to the upper Pinhook, stomped through the toughest parts of the upper Aucilla, snakes, gators, etc and I consider myself pretty tough but if I have slight fear it's getting roughed up in the flats/ocean.

Obviously I've been treated to the occasional flats fishing trip by friends so I know what I'm getting into for the most part but I've never been to the Pinhook entrance. I figure once I make it to the Pinhook Cutoff I'm safe from as much tidal influence, rocks, etc.
Depends on where you are coming from. If coming from the lower ramp just jump from the west cut off to peler creek then to the pinhook cut off. Just plan around dead low and you'll be fine to go that route in a Gheenoe. On a low tide you will have to deal with bars and shallow spots coming in the back way. You can also go all the way out the west cut to the flats and the pinhook entrance is marked with a white pole just a few hundred yards to the west. Lots of rocks out there on low. Enjoy, the Aucilla is my favorite place to fish but I love it for the same reasons most hate it.
I like this idea the most. I'd rather drag my boat and motor through that than break it to pieces out there in the rocks. I'm also prone to just flat out get mixed up once I get so far out lol! We just got a pile of rain to. The fact that these creeks have names means that they're actual creeks to I guess. They even come up on Google Maps if you zoom in. I'd obviously looked at all the routes before but written those off as random glorified marsh clearings lol!

How long does this route take for a guy who will be going SLOW lol! There's also the room for error factor, but that shouldn't matter as much since I'll be sure and have a fully charged phone with Google Maps.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Went pretty far into the first creek you take when you go the back way today. The original trip was sabatoged by the rain so I did that for fun a little later. If that creek, which disappears on Google Maps, stays as deep and wide as it was where I turned around today (the fallen tree with old chainsaw marks) then I'll be way less chicken. It got teensy which explains the map but it was doable. Whoever went through the trouble of cutting that tree out of the way agrees and prefers it instead of going out to rock country.

My little dot self on the map was moving pretty fast in the Gheenoe to even though I was treading lightly. I only turned around when I did because I forgot the paddle and it something would have happened :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

No need to be so skeered of those rocks. Just go easy and when you hit one your motor should pop up if you don't have t & t

When I had my Go Devil I owned the Aucilla LOL
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I am afraid.

Lol!

The way back is when I'd screw up. I'll go slow enough to not hurt anything on the rocks, but there are only 14 hours of daylight this time of year. And $!#% that happening out there lol anywhere but out there!!!!!!! So what it the shortest way as far as time that it takes and not distance? I'll have extra gas and I don't mind paddling which is occasionally faster than motoring nervously lol!