St Marks 4/18: A quickie

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Beard

Re: St Marks 4/18: A quickie

Post by Red Beard »

FishWithChris wrote:
Red Beard wrote:Y’all ever had the smoked fish from Mineral Springs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Their Hot Mess dip is some of the best I have ever had. SG, those filets look impressive!!!

We need a potluck soon [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
You ain’t lying!

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Red Beard wrote:Salty Gator I do not doubt your smoked fish is good and looks good too.

I smoked a lot of fish working at Mineral Springs, and ate a lot too.

Smoked fish is smoked fish. Not reinventing the wheel here. What did y’all do to your fish at mineral springs? Anything different? Any brining? And rubs you want to share? I heard poseys was salt pepper and brown sugar bit don’t know for sure.
My first pic was a piece of salmon I did yesterday. Made a dip w cream cheese, sour cream, red onions, dill, key lime juice, and capers. I’ll let y’all know how it turned out later today.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Salty Gator wrote:
Red Beard wrote:Salty Gator I do not doubt your smoked fish is good and looks good too.

Smoked fish is smoked fish. Not reinventing the wheel here. What did y’all do to your fish at mineral springs? Anything different? Any brining? And rubs you want to share? I heard poseys was salt pepper and brown sugar bit don’t know for sure.
My first pic was a piece of salmon I did yesterday. Made a dip w cream cheese, sour cream, red onions, dill, key lime juice, and capers. I’ll let y’all know how it turned out later today.
Not wanting to give any of my friend Tim’s secrets away at the market. So I’ll say it is a homemade rub, more ingredients than Posey’s and we never brined a single fish before smoking.

But let me also say, we were dealing with a fresh product. And as you said SG, smoked fish is smoked fish, as long as it’s fresh to begin with.

That dip sounds about right. The capers make a big difference than relish. (In my opinion, but I won’t turn don’t fish dip period)

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Red Beard wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

Not wanting to give any of my friend Tim’s secrets away at the market. So I’ll say it is a homemade rub, more ingredients than Posey’s and we never brined a single fish before smoking.

But let me also say, we were dealing with a fresh product. And as you said SG, smoked fish is smoked fish, as long as it’s fresh to begin with.

That dip sounds about right. The capers make a big difference than relish. (In my opinion, but I won’t turn don’t fish dip period)

I just assumed what went in the smoker was the stuff that was still good, but hadn’t sold for a couple of days.

I don’t use capers in my normal dip. Or red onions. I was kinda trying for a lox and bagels kind of thing. This is my first try w salmon.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Salty Gator wrote:
Red Beard wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

I just assumed what went in the smoker was the stuff that was still good, but hadn’t sold for a couple of days.

I don’t use capers in my normal dip. Or red onions. I was kinda trying for a lox and bagels kind of thing. This is my first try w salmon.
Sometimes that is the case, but I can honestly say majority off the smoked fish for sale or made into dips is fresh.

Not a bad idea, let me know how it turns out.