Spring Creek 12/22 (*Addendum Report filed)

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BKTomblin Jr

Post by BKTomblin Jr »

Wish I could have been their :-D Nice :thumbup:
Sea Gurl

Post by Sea Gurl »

Maybe I won't put that gas stabilizer in yet after all!!!!

Congrats

Sea Gurl
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

That used to be a great winter spot-you will have to have a reservation
to get there now. GreyGoose and I always did well in that area. Careful
with the BIG ROCKS close to shore line. :o
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Greenbone- I found one of those big rocks, luckily I found it with my eyes and not the prop or the hull. The way the fish stick together in tight schools, I can understand how these areas can easily become "over-fished". If I go there again, there will be no barbs.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Winter time trout fishing?
Congrats and nice job. :thumbup: That drift strategy is excellent. Glad it worked for you. That approach is actually written up in the Dec-Jan shallow water fishing issue. Kudos to finding bigger fish. When I've found ~14" fish that's all I expect to catch in that spot. It's hard to move but you have to if you want bigger fish.
Also, I absolutely agree with removing the “barbâ€
Last edited by Littoral on December 26th, 2004, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Excellent, excellent report. So glad to come upon it on this relaxing Christmas night.
Thanks! :smt114
Tony

Post by Tony »

Great report, now I'm inspired to get on the water and catch some. I ususally go out at St. Marks but Spring Creek seems just as close. Where is the best place to put in? I have a 16' Cape Horne.

Keep Catching em

Tony
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Welcome aboard Tony!

I put it by turning left in front of the restaurant and going down the unpaved road until it looks like a dead end and there is a private ramp and a box to put money in, there. Seemed like we had to knock on a door there for some reason, my buddy took care of that, of a place next to the ramp that was up on stilts, and the guy maybe took 5 bucks from us to use the ramp and park there.

This was maybe a year ago. Didn't catch anything much that day, but it was a first time and it was beautiful. I look forward to going back soon in my 13'er.
FUTCHCAIRO

SPRING CREEK

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I WILL BE THERE MON. MORNING 6 SHARP.
FUTCHCAIRO
FUTCHCAIRO
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Welcome aboard Tony and Futchciro :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you haven't been down there before, take it slow and easy. Following Aucillias instructions, you should be able to find the ramp. Spring Creek is a very small township, and the ramp is easy to find. Just take a left at the old "Spears Seafood".

There are 1000 boat ramps in Florida, and this one must be ranked 990th. It’s home made, but it works. Usually someone will show up when you are putting the boat in the water. The people who live in the single wide trailer are the folks who collect the $5.

Watch the tides when you use the ramp. Trying to get your craft in or out of the water on a really low tide can be difficult. Be sure to use the left side of the ramp because there is a large hole on the right side that will swallow your trailer tire and ground your trailer on it's chassis. :o (I am speaking from personal experience.) They have put some PVC poles out in the water as guides. Just remember you want to stay toward the left pole. Have Fun and be safe.

MJ
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Nice job MJ!!! Is that "left" you're refering to when you stand on the hill looking at the ramp, or from the water?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

It's the view from the hill looking at the ramp.... :-D
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

I had a terrible time getting my boat out the one time I went. Maybe it was largely due to being on the wrong side of the ramp, but the ramp or the trailer was tilted to one side quite a bit no matter what I did, but since the boat was floating over the trailer [musta been high tide], the boat wasn't tilted; SO, when I pulled out, the boat would just not line up and sit riight on the bunks. I must have pulled out and repositioned 5 times; and waded around into some water maybe above my waist in the process.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Aucillia- I had the exact same experience the first time I used that ramp. 5-6 tries and the boat still sat on one side of the trailer. :hammer: I finally just manually "pushed" the boat back into alignment while it sat on the trailer. I sure felt it the next day..... :oops:
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

EXACT same experience, and even with two of us old guys the 13'er was heavy. Exact same felt it next day... Kinda deters me from goin' when it's cold, as I sure don't wanna get too wet, even bein' a wader.