The FWC Man.... What to do....

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I think that it's fair ta say that the WILL remember you :-D :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
BlueDrifter

boat safety inspection

Post by BlueDrifter »

Almost every time I have launched at ST. Marks River at the fort there has beed a U.S.C.G.A officer there to inspect you boat (not mandatory though I have seen some of the officers in PC imply that it was)
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Yeah now, regardless of at the ramp or on the water, if he's auxillary you can tell him to go urinate up a vertically dangling rope. Not that I generally would just because it would be rude and he's volunteering his time to be there doing what he's doing.
FindingNemo

Post by FindingNemo »

In the early 80's I was a fisheries biologist with what was then the Florida Game & Fresh Water Fish Commission. We wore green pants and the brownish beige shirts and, even without gun and blue light, were often mistaken as wildlife officers. Frequently folks would chat and we would explain that we were biologist, not law enforcement. Many a state game or fish biologist has heard the most irritating question a state biologist can hear....."how long do you have to be one of them biologist before you get your gun and your blue light?" It is funny now but at the time the friendly rivalry between the law enforcement folks and biologists made it not quite so hilarious back then.

Years later as the general counsel for a police union, I represented officers in IAs, shootings and various labor related issues. I even got a chance to work with some of the same "game wardens" I knew back when I wore the green and beige. While there are always some folks that you wonder how they got through the academy, the vast majority of law enforcement types take no joy in writing a ticket. All they want to do it put in an honest day's work and get home to their hunting, fishing and families. One thing that hit home when representing cops, their day can go from deadly boring to just plain deadly in a split second. The job looks glamorous but they are all underpaid and often overworked. The best thing to do when confronted by law enforcement....just help make their day safe and uneventful.
bman

Post by bman »

I got checked at StMarks yesterday and the guys were nice.
They were still out looking for the man that was thrown from his boat a few days ago. They think he was swamped by a bigger boat as he left a creek by the channel
One tip- when they are pulling up throw out all the lifevests - on the deck- not in the water! Or in a bigger boat hand one to each boater.
When they see you do that it shows that you are cooperative and it makes everything else smoother. Assuming that you are legal.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Boat inspection requirements

Post by KarstRanger »

Hi guys - interesting thread. I agree that the FWC men are our friends and if you work to get along with them, they will be glad to return the favor. One of you old salty's surely knows where the regs are for what a boat must have on board to pass the inspection? I know about life jackets and flares, but maybe there is something I missed. Thanks.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

This may be a good place to start..... -

http://www.boat-ed.com/fl/fwc.htm

:smt024
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
The Business

Re: safety inspection

Post by The Business »

Skag wrote:After a quick google search I found a site for the St. Marks Coast Guard Aux. (but not for Shell Point) at http://www.uscgaux.net/info.html and then sent a message requesting a safety inspection. My wife will be pleased (and that can lead to good things).
They will also give you a free tow in if you are having engine problems or in my cas. operator problems....