Gag Grouper To Be SEVERELY Reduced In The Gulf Of Mexico

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Gov Office wrote: Thank you for contacting Governor Charlie Crist. The Governor appreciates
your concerns about the new restrictions from the National Marine Fisheries
and asked me to respond on his behalf.

To assist you, I forwarded your email to the Florida Fish and Wildlife
Conservation Commission for their review and response. If you want to
contact the Commission directly, please use the information provided below:

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Farris Bryant Building
620 South Meridian Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1600
(850) 487-3796

Governor Crist wants to know how people feel about the many critical issues
we face and appreciates you taking the time to share your views with him.

Thank you again for contacting the Governor's office. For information
about the Governor's policies and initiatives, please visit our website at
http://www.flgov.com.

Sincerely,

Willem J. de Greef
Office of Citizen Services
Tom Keels
Site Founder

CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

I did'nt get much of a reply to my email. Must not of had enough fancy titles after my name :roll:

Reply:
Thank you for taking the time to contact Governor Charlie Crist . He appreciates hearing from the citizens of Florida. To provide more prompt and efficient service to you, please use the contact form here: http://www.flgov.com/contact_form. Governor Crist is committed to providing the best customer service possible.
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
GIT-R-WET
Site Sponsor

Post by GIT-R-WET »

I was #155 on the petition,there is a long way to go for the goal.
Also sent email to Allen Boyd http://www.house.gov/writerep/
"LIFE IS GOOD IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS"
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I was #157.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Anybody know a good fiberglass guy that can make seamless hidden compartments in a boat? :-D
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Here is the reply I got:

Dear Mr. Smith:

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding gag grouper bag limits. As you may know, recent stock assessments for red grouper and gag have found that, while red grouper has fully recovered to its optimum yield, gag is still undergoing overfishing. Under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (MSFCMA), the Council is required to submit a plan to end overfishing within two years of being notified of such a determination.

Consequently, the Council, in Reef Fish Amendment 30B, is seeking ways to allow red grouper harvest to increase while at the same time reducing the fishing mortality rate on gag. Although a one-gag bag limit is under consideration, it is just one of a range of alternatives contained in the draft amendment. Other strategies up for Council deliberation include seasonal closures, size limit changes, or combinations of these management measures. Prior to approval of any plan, public hearings will be held throughout the Gulf coast. The Council encourages you to participate in the public hearings, inasmuch as public input is an important part of the Council process.

Again, thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. A copy of your e-mail has been provided to each Council member for review and consideration as the Council deliberates this issue. In the meantime, if you should have additional comments or concerns, please call.

Sincerely,

Charlene Ponce

Public Information Officer

Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council

813-348-1630 ext. 229

charlene.ponce@gulfcouncil.org
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I got zero replies. I think I need a title too :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

South Atlantic Fishery Management Council News ReleaseFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Kim Iverson August 7, 2007 Public Information Officer kim.iverson@safmc.net 843/571-4366 or Toll Free 866/SAFMC-10 Council Seeks Input on Measures Needed for Gag and Vermilion Snapper Reductions in harvest needed to end overfishing within the year The South Atlantic Fishery Management Council is holding a series of 6 public scoping meetings to solicit public comment on an amendment to reduce both commercial and recreational harvest of gag grouper and vermilion snapper. Recent stock assessments show that overfishing is occurring for these economically important species. During its June 2007 meeting, the Council received a report from its Scientific and Statistical Committee stating its approval of the Southeastern Data, Assessment, and Review (SEDAR) stock assessments for gag and vermilion snapper. The Council is charged to end overfishing within a one year period and in response, has begun development of Amendment 16 to the Snapper Grouper Fishery Management Plan for the South Atlantic. The Scientific and Statistical Committee determined that in order to fish at the Council’s Optimum Yield (OY), a reduction of 61% is needed for vermilion snapper. Substantial reductions in harvest are also anticipated for gag in order to end overfishing. The scoping meetings and a public comment period are being held to receive input regarding possible measures to end overfishing, including modifications to current regulations and potential new measures (closed seasons, recreational boat limits, commercial trip limits, etc.) to achieve the necessary reductions. Alternatives will be included in Amendment 16. The Council is scheduled to approve the amendment for public hearings during its December 3-7, 2007 meeting in Atlantic Beach, North Carolina. The final public scoping meeting will be held in conjunction with the September Council meeting in N. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (see schedule below). Public scoping meetings for Snapper Grouper Amendment 16 will be held in coastal areas in the southeast. All meetings begin at 6:00 PM. Written comments for Amendment 16 are being accepted by the Council until 5:00 PM on September 17, 2007. Copies of the Amendment 16 scoping document will be posted on the Council’s web site at http://www.safmc.net or may be obtained from the Council office. Comments should be addressed to: Bob Mahood, Executive Director, South Atlantic Fishery Management Council, 4055 Faber Place Drive, Suite 201, Charleston, SC 29405. Email comments to: SGAm16Scoping@safmc.net. (Turn page for listing of public hearing dates and locations)
SNAPPER GROUPER AMENDMENT 16 PUBLIC SCOPING MEETINGS All meetings are scheduled to begin at 6:00 p.m. September 4, 2007 Hilton Wilmington Riverside 301 N. Water Street Wilmington, NC 28401 Phone: 910/763-5900 September 4, 2007 Sombrero Cay Clubs 19 Sombrero Blvd. Marathon, FL 33050 Phone: 305/743-2250 September 5, 2007 Sheraton Atlantic Beach 2717 W. Fort Macon Road Atlantic Beach, NC 28512 Phone: 252/240-1155 September 6, 2007 Hampton Inn Daytona Speedway 1715 W. Int. Speedway Blvd. Daytona Beach, FL 32114 Phone: 386/257-4030 September 10, 2007 Holiday Inn Charleston Airport 5264 International Blvd. N. Charleston, SC 29418 Phone: 843/576-0300 September 17, 2007 Avista Resort 300 N. Ocean Blvd. N. Myrtle Beach, SC 29582 Phone: 843/249-2521 The South Atlantic Fishery Management Council, one of eight regional councils, conserves and manages fish stocks from three to 200 miles offshore of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and east Florida.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Benjamin Franklin 1759
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

rocket wrote:I got zero replies. I think I need a title too :thumbup:
I take that back:
Thank you for your e-mail about potential regulatory changes for Gulf of
Mexico grouper. Your comments will be taken into consideration during
the review of future proposed regulatory changes.

At this time, the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council (Gulf
Council) is reviewing the status of the Gulf of Mexico grouper stocks:
specifically, gag and red grouper. Once they make a decision on
potential regulatory changes, they will submit those recommendations to
NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service for review and implementation.
I encourage you to get involved in the process by attending Gulf Council
meetings and communicating with your state or industry representative on
the Gulf Council. For more information on the Gulf Council, the status
of its review of the Gulf of Mexico grouper fishery, or to identify your
Gulf Council representative, log onto http://www.gulfcouncil.org/.

We have added your e-mail address to the electronic distribution list
for our Southeast Fisheries Bulletins (if it is not already added), so
you will get timely notice of public comment periods for proposed rules
and regulatory changes. We look forward to hearing from you on any
proposed regulatory changes. If you do not approve of the proposed
changes, please advise us of other alternatives for consideration.

Roy Crabtree
Southeast Regional Administrator
Stay Thirsty My Friends
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I got one from Ole' Roy also. :smt011
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

MudDucker wrote:I got one from Ole' Roy also. :smt011
Same as mine...is it a standard reply?? Like I need another reason to want to hold Crabtree in the Full Nelson for approximately 40 minutes :smt013
Stay Thirsty My Friends
2true

Post by 2true »

If groupers are outlawed only outlaws will have groupers!
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

2true wrote:If groupers are outlawed only outlaws will have groupers!
Thay wont outlaw them,the great master plan is still to allow you one,remember we have to save all these fish for the sharks to eat and red tide to kill. :smt013
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Benjamin Franklin 1759
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Mr. Nash:

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding gag grouper, greater amberjack, and gray triggerfish. As you may know, recent stock assessments for red grouper and gag have found that, while red grouper has fully recovered to its optimum yield level, gag is still undergoing overfishing. In addition, greater amberjack and gray triggerfish are both overfished and undergoing overfishing.

Under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (MSFCMA), the Council is required to submit a plan to end overfishing within two years of being notified of such a determination.

Consequently, the Council, in Reef Fish Amendment 30B, is seeking ways to allow red grouper harvest to increase while at the same time reducing the fishing mortality rate on gag. Although a one-gag bag limit is under consideration, it is just one of a range of alternatives contained in the draft amendment. Other strategies up for Council deliberation include seasonal closures, size limit changes, or combinations of these management measures.

Amendment 30A will address the issues with greater amberjack and gray triggerfish. That amendment outlines ten management actions, some of which include modifications to greater amberjack allocations, as well as both recreational and commercial alternatives for both species.

Prior to the approval of any plan, public hearings will be held throughout the Gulf coast. Public hearings on Amendment 30A are scheduled as follows:

September 10

Biloxi, MS

New Orleans, LA

September 11

Orange Beach, AL

Galveston, TX

September 12

Panama City, FL

Palacios, TX

September 13

Corpus Christi, TX

September 17

Madeira Beach, FL

September 18

Ft. Myers, FL

Meeting locations to be determined and posted at a later date. All meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. local time and end no later than 10:00.

The Council encourages you to participate in the public hearings, inasmuch as public comment is an important part of the Council process.

PLEASE NOTE: These public hearings are for Amendment 30A which deals with greater amberjack and gray triggerfish, and Amendment 29, which deals with Commercial Grouper Effort Management/LAPPS – these public hearings are NOT to discuss Amendment 30B - gag and red grouper. Gulf wide hearings for that amendment will be scheduled in the near future.

Again, thank you for contacting the Gulf Council. A copy of your e-mail will be forwarded to each Council member for review and consideration as the Council continues to deliberate these issues. In the meantime, if you should have additional comments or concerns, please call.

Sincerely,

Charlene Ponce

Public Information Officer

Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council

813-348-1630 ext. 229

charlene.ponce@gulfcouncil.org
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Boat_Full
Site Sponsor

Post by Boat_Full »

I just received the same email as Tom. :smt015