Scoop Sea's Oil Spill Thread

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FHC
Site Sponsor

Re: Scoop Sea's Oil Spill Thread

Post by FHC »

welcome home
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Thanks FHC, glad to be here.
It's really amazing to hear what the locals/friends think about the spill. A lot of what they believe is media driven, that's a shame. I met up with an old friend of mine this evening who was in town. He's a lawyer out of Jax. and he had just signed up some folks down in the County to help them with claims, etc. I like this guy, but I sure hate to see that folks are "lawyering up" so early. As far as lawyers go, he's a pretty decent one, but like I said, I hate to see folks turning to lawyers so early.
I was at the Dentist office this morning and the dental tech was talking about the impact they are having in Perry. That's a darn shame.....
Oh well what do you do, once again, thanks for the welcome home. Hopefully I will see some of ya'll out on the water Thursday........
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Scoop, how, if at all, is the present spill effecting the, now delayed, pre-spill consideration of BP's debarment from all Federal contracts/leases? I understand that the EPA has debared BP at one Texas City facility and also in Prudhoe Bay for far less oil spilled(200,000 gallons) and lives lost. Add to that, if debared from oil contracts and leases in the Gulf, what are the consequences to the DoD seeing as BP is one, if not the, largest supplier of fuel to them. Lastly as the EPA is an arm of the Executive Branch, is BP viewed as "too big to fail"?
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Barhopr wrote:Scoop, how, if at all, is the present spill effecting the, now delayed, pre-spill consideration of BP's debarment from all Federal contracts/leases? I understand that the EPA has debared BP at one Texas City facility and also in Prudhoe Bay for far less oil spilled(200,000 gallons) and lives lost. Add to that, if debared from oil contracts and leases in the Gulf, what are the consequences to the DoD seeing as BP is one, if not the, largest supplier of fuel to them. Lastly as the EPA is an arm of the Executive Branch, is BP viewed as "too big to fail"?
This really needs to be in another thread as it has nothing to do with the present spill.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

It is about nothing but the spill. It's not about the clean up.
VIVA la BT

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

IMO Mills, your asking him to offer up information that he shouldn't give on a public forum "if he could" and offer up conjecture on the other stuff :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Hey Barhopr, as the two fellas above posted, those are issues that I am not involved with and in turn, I have no working knowledge of those issues. My job is that of a responder, not of a regulator, in turn, I am not familiar with the actions related to the questions you posed.

Here's some flat out speculation, just my own two-cents as a private citizen: BP is not too big to fail. There are other companies out there who have the capability to step right in and take over supplying DoD fuel, etc. if needed. As for the leases off shore, as with most things, if you follow the money trail, you can follow the votes, which leads to certain people in powerful positions that make things happen. I would suspect that if the government debarred BP, BP would break into seperate companies with the same holdings and then you would see those companies emerge in their place. That's just plain speculation, but it's happened before and will probably happen again.

On a side note, I guess ya'll saw that we are clipping over 15,000 barrels a day? That's still a good move in the right direction. I believe we still have some growing room and hopefully the overall reduction to the Gulf will be increased. Slow, methodical steps are the way to go right now. Remember, we'll be doing this until August. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Also, I want to clarify my recent post about subsurface oil. I do not believe that there are large heavy oil masses floating subsurface hundreds of miles away from the oil well, however, I do suspect that there are some subsurface oil masses closer to the oil well, i.e. a few miles, but I don't believe they are 40+ and 130+ miles away as reported in the news. After re-reading my post it appeared to me that I should make that clarification. Naturally, as the oil comes out of the well and is hit with dispersants, it stays in the water column. Some of the oil, closer to the well, has the opportunity to form up in masses. However, as weather/current actions take place, these masses break up as they are supposed to do, i.e. turn into smaller modules so that they can be consumed by bacteria. I hope that clarification helps out.

Good News: I should make it out on to the water tomorrow. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bad News: I have already gotten a call requesting that I head back early. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: We'll see how that plays out, hopefully they can make some changes and let me keep a two full weeks off.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

More Happy News(for our area)
The southeast winds are pushing the oil slick back towards the NW according to the BP Trajectory maps.
Every little bit helps.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Happy for some, not for others :smt012
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Bow'd Up

Post by Bow'd Up »

Thanks for the good info Scoop, keep it coming :thumbup:
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

wevans wrote:IMO Mills, your asking him to offer up information that he shouldn't give on a public forum "if he could" and offer up conjecture on the other stuff :-D :beer:
Yeah, I know it was a sucker punch and I didn't really expect an answer even if Scoop had one. Just a post made out of frustration with the present situation. Sorry about that Scoop.
VIVA la BT

BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Barhopr wrote:
wevans wrote:IMO Mills, your asking him to offer up information that he shouldn't give on a public forum "if he could" and offer up conjecture on the other stuff :-D :beer:
Yeah, I know it was a sucker punch and I didn't really expect an answer even if Scoop had one. Just a post made out of frustration with the present situation. Sorry about that Scoop.
Yeah Mills, ya jackazz!!! :-D
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

So Fox News is reporting a whole new spill from an entirely different rig:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/08/fi ... t/#content

This particular spill is 6 years old, and everyone including the feds has lied about it.

Who knows how many rigs out there are actually all screwed up?!!!

Big oil is just one lie after the other.
Work 'em silly Gators!!
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

CF, Did you read the article you referenced? If so, I can't see how you deciphered that "everyone including the feds has lied about it"? :roll: I'm just saying....I read the article and I can't figure out where the lying statement came from. I suspect there are rigs out there that were impacted from Katrina and Ivan that are still being worked on. I do not know this to be a fact, but..... given all of the discussion over the coffer dome approach early on in regards to DWH and how they referenced that this was used in regards to rigs/wells impacted after the hurricanes, it wouldn't surprise me if there aren't wells out there using these domes still (as referenced in the article). The accusation that the company was using dispersents was a stretch, I would think all companies know that using dispersents sub-surface without approval would cause them to pay fines/penalties that would cripple their company, furthermore, the personnel in charge would face prison time.
When we start responding to those oil spills we should open up a thread for them. Until that time, let's keep this thread geared towards the DWH response actions taking place in Ms, Al, and Fl.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

ScoopSea (2)'
TreeHuggers(0)
WHOSE FISH IS IT?