Aucilla navigation

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Re: Aucilla navigation

Post by big bend gyrene »

Just out of the river, here are rock garden & Grey Mare pictures others have shared on the board in the past... just SEEING the Grey Mare pic makes me shudder and thankful I take my chances at Econfina where the rocks are only as big as baby elephants vs the full fledged adult ones. :lol:

Joking aside, flirted with danger by going out of Aucilla ONE single time, and that was all it took to satisfy my desire to launch there! :o :smt045
Rock Garden.JPG
Rock Garden.JPG (4.78 MiB) Viewed 2498 times
Grey Mare Rock.jpg
Grey Mare Rock.jpg (300.3 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Joe, ya saw y'all of in the distance a bit and told my buddy thats not a great feeling over there. We're you in a pathfinder?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Hey you stole my pictures.... And that ain't right.... :-?
Last edited by mjsigns on July 25th, 2012, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Guess I'll just share a few more pictures of Grey Mare ....

kenfly

Post by kenfly »

What If you maybe went out in the winter on a low or neg low tide and just putted out and tracked with your gps and just use that track all year, would that work?
Joe
Site Sponsor

Post by Joe »

Yep, Thats me Kenfly.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

You got it Ken. Except they say the rocks move at night!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

You got it Ken. Except they say the rocks move at night!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

What If you maybe went out in the winter on a low or neg low tide and just putted out and tracked with your gps and just use that track all year, would that work?
I went out on January 14, (can't remember the year). There were 15-20 mph winds out of the north, in addition to a negative low tide. i had to jack-knife my trailer to get the boat in the river. (note the pictures if the ramp in this thread) Once I started the engine I immediately trimmed it up as far as it could go without the intakes sucking air. The wind along with the neg tide revealed a treacherous path. Even at 3-5 mph the hull was taking a beating. It was kind of like driving your truck down a road full of pot holes bump-ba-bump-bub-bamb..it was like that for about the first 50 yards or so. I shut the motor down, trimmed her all the way up, and poled my way out to the west pass by pushing-off on the rocks. Once I entered the west pass. the wind pushed the boat into the rocks on the south side of the pass. That is where I learned that you can really hurt yourself with the push pole. Freyed laybrum in right arm. That ended my trip right there. Turned and went back to the ramp, cold, wet and in a lot of pain.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Action Craft Gator wrote:I've seen the 'land bridge' just below Mandalay on the negative tides in the winter. Very similar to the pics mjsigns posted above. Easing down that river in the winter when the water's clear and low will tighten up muscles in interesting parts of your body. Here's a chart from Jerry's, but my disclaimer is the same as his! All bets are off on low tide, too. http://www.jerrysbait.com/AucillaRiver.aspx
This chart is accurate but should be used with caution.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

mjsigns wrote:
I went out on January 14, (can't remember the year). There were 15-20 mph winds out of the north, in addition to a negative low tide. i had to jack-knife my trailer to get the boat in the river. (note the pictures if the ramp in this thread) Once I started the engine I immediately trimmed it up as far as it could go without the intakes sucking air. The wind along with the neg tide revealed a treacherous path. Even at 3-5 mph the hull was taking a beating. It was kind of like driving your truck down a road full of pot holes bump-ba-bump-bub-bamb..it was like that for about the first 50 yards or so. I shut the motor down, trimmed her all the way up, and poled my way out to the west pass by pushing-off on the rocks. Once I entered the west pass. the wind pushed the boat into the rocks on the south side of the pass. That is where I learned that you can really hurt yourself with the push pole. Freyed laybrum in right arm. That ended my trip right there. Turned and went back to the ramp, cold, wet and in a lot of pain.
The first thing I thought of when I saw your pictures was I bet that boat took a beating.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: Aucilla navigation - moving rocks South?

Post by zload »

Not sure which of you wise guys decided to move one of the Aucilla rocks down to Steinhatchee but I found it first thing Saturday morning, please come back and get it. Prop, skeg and prop shaft at minimum... :smt010
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150